Thread: Lathe - Sanding with Wax and Mineral Oil

Lathe - Sanding with Wax and Mineral Oil

I am wanting to try making a batch of wax and mineral oil to sand while project still on the lathe.

I have been watching video of people who do this, but am curious if there is any problem with the mineral oil in the mixture?

Does it leach out? Leave a ring after the item is finished and placed out (as in a bowl or spindle)?

Also, do you apply another finish after using this sanding method or do you prefer the satin finish it seems to leave?

I'd appreciate comments on this method of sanding from people who have experience using this method.

Here is a link of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/user/haydenHD#p/u/6/gPQQRgnGO40
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTliWMe0WP0

Thanks,

Tony
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

Is it just me or is there something fundamentally wrong with this guys way of doing things. Just because he has a You tube channel is he now an expert.?

I would like to hear the pro turners here comment on his methods.
    cheers

Kind of why I'm asking the question.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

I've never used it before, but I saved this pdf a while back...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I saw Eli Avisera use the sanding wax a few months ago at a demo here. I haven't tried it myself, but I figure if he's using it, it must be legit.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Not a pro by any means but I use plain old paste wax when I am sanding end grain boxes turned from dense exotics which are prone to heat checks if the sanding heats up the end grain.

I just put a dab on the sandpaper and sand as I always do. Between grits I clean the residue off with a paper towel moistened with a little mineral spirits. I find this works quite well when power sanding as well.

Ray Key is one of the pros who does this and I learned it from one of his videos.

I have made a wax and oil mixture (beeswax and mineral oil) that I use during demonstrations to pop the grain and bring out the color of my finished turning. This I learned from Richard Raffan. He uses this finish on almost all of his boxes. It is quick to apply and easy to renew.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

I too saw Eli using it, he said his workshop/school does not have enough DC for each student, so they use the wax when sanding, keeps the dust way down.

IIRC he said as long as you are using an oil based finish you will be OK, but I'd test it your self ahead of time.

I too make my own "Eli" wax, I think the ratio is something like 60% wx to 40% oil, or do I have the backwards
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward