Lathe - Sanding with Wax and Mineral Oil

I am wanting to try making a batch of wax and mineral oil to sand while project still on the lathe.

I have been watching video of people who do this, but am curious if there is any problem with the mineral oil in the mixture?

Does it leach out? Leave a ring after the item is finished and placed out (as in a bowl or spindle)?

Also, do you apply another finish after using this sanding method or do you prefer the satin finish it seems to leave?

I'd appreciate comments on this method of sanding from people who have experience using this method.

Here is a link of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/user/haydenHD#p/u/6/gPQQRgnGO40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTliWMe0WP0

Thanks,

Tony

Is it just me or is there something fundamentally wrong with this guys way of doing things. Just because he has a You tube channel is he now an expert.?

I would like to hear the pro turners here comment on his methods.:huh:

Not a pro by any means but I use plain old paste wax when I am sanding end grain boxes turned from dense exotics which are prone to heat checks if the sanding heats up the end grain.

I just put a dab on the sandpaper and sand as I always do. Between grits I clean the residue off with a paper towel moistened with a little mineral spirits. I find this works quite well when power sanding as well.

Ray Key is one of the pros who does this and I learned it from one of his videos.

I have made a wax and oil mixture (beeswax and mineral oil) that I use during demonstrations to pop the grain and bring out the color of my finished turning. This I learned from Richard Raffan. He uses this finish on almost all of his boxes. It is quick to apply and easy to renew.

I too saw Eli using it, he said his workshop/school does not have enough DC for each student, so they use the wax when sanding, keeps the dust way down.

IIRC he said as long as you are using an oil based finish you will be OK, but I'd test it your self ahead of time.

I too make my own "Eli" wax, I think the ratio is something like 60% wx to 40% oil, or do I have the backwards :huh: