Media Alcove

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Starting another project! Or rather, trying to finish up something I started along time ago.

So here's the alcove, it's where the ugly old fireplace used to be. The new hotness is on the left...
attachment.php

Picked up some sheets of 1/4" A1 Cherry Ply to panel the inside of the alcove
attachment.php

And about 40bf of S4S cherry to build the media center.
attachment.php

Will probably try and test some finishes out to see what I like on the cherry and the cherry ply this weekend. I figure I'll cut the pieces to size, then finish them then install.

I have a design in my head for the frame for the alcove, but nothing concrete on the entertainment center. I'm planning on paneling and putting the frame around it, then putting the entertainment center in later...

The little entertainment center we have now will fit in there while I come up with a design and build it.

Ok, let the heckling begin! :whistling::hide:

Attachments

• WEB_CANON300D_20101028_171806_0690.jpg
    WEB_CANON300D_20101028_171806_0690.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 58
  • WEB_CANON300D_20101028_170858_0689.jpg
    WEB_CANON300D_20101028_170858_0689.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 57
  • WEB_CANON300D_20101028_170846_0688.jpg
    WEB_CANON300D_20101028_170846_0688.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 56
Any suggestions on what to use for finishing Cherry would be appreciated. Right now I'm planning on:

Applying a conditioner
Cherrywood Gel Stain
Semi Gloss Poly.

Like I said, I'll do some tests before I put it in, but tips are welcome!

I am wondering why put cherry stain on cherry wood?

The wood will darken anyway. My mother had me do that with her kitchen cabinets years back. I warned her it would get too dark over time. It did. She complained. I ignored her.

I am wondering why put cherry stain on cherry wood?

The wood will darken anyway. My mother had me do that with her kitchen cabinets years back. I warned her it would get too dark over time. It did. She complained. I ignored her.

BLO and poly, should do nicely

But first set it out tomarrow and let it have a sun tan.

Well, I'll give a suntan a shot.

These will be in a position where in the long run they will get very little sun. Will they still darken due to age without UV exposure?

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't want it to be 'really dark', just to add some contrast to the maple in the kitchen and fireplace mantle. And to complicate things, I dont want it to be too light, as it will be housing the big screen...

Medium! :rofl::rofl:

Well, Not as light as maple, and not as dark as walnut. Just kind of a warm cherryish tone....

I guess the question is, how long of uv exposures should I give it, then wait, then look at it, then maybe expose it again? Would 3 hours be too long at a time?

I don't plan on putting things up this weekend, but I could get them cut out and ready and start getting them suitably 'aged' by selectively placing in sunlight.

when ya get up in the morning and are having your coffee, set em out. around noon take em in to the shop and wipe em down with some MS to see how they will look with finish on em. keep in mind if you use BLO to pop the grain the amber color of the BLO will slightly darken it.. If they are not dark enough set em back out tel 4 or 5 o'clock. repeat as necessary. You could even put the BLO on ahead of time be4 you give em a tan that way you will know how they will look.

Sounds like a plan! I'll wait till a nice sunny day then. Got clouds and rain moving in tomorrow, so will probably work on some flooring issues over the weekend.

Thanks for all of the advice!

I do my best to keep cherry out of any light. It turns black and ugly in my opinion if it doesn't have a finish on it. I've thrown out a lot of perfectly good pieces of sheet stock because they've turned black.

It will still darken, even if its just with artificial light. Even with a really good finish that has some UV protectors in it.

Side note: Why do we call it artificial light? If I can see by it and recognize my friends, its as real as I'll ever need it.

I have seen a few posts in other forums where guys use lye to "hurry-up" the darkening of Cherry. I've seen photos, and it sure is dramatic. But lye is something you do need to be careful when using!

Personally I like the sunlight approach, or just use a natural finish (ie: shellac and then poly, or maybe a blo + wax) and let time work it's magic.

Being shelves, I would tend to suggest a film finish, either lacquer or poly, rather than a penetrating/oil finish.

I do my best to keep cherry out of any light. It turns black and ugly in my opinion if it doesn't have a finish on it. I've thrown out a lot of perfectly good pieces of sheet stock because they've turned black.

hmmm strange, in all my 63 years I have never seen cherry turn black from UV exposure. I have refurbish some 110+ year old antiques and they are dark rich brown but not black and this is in Arizona where we get a fair amount of sun light.

At this point, I'm really only working on a 'frame' to go around the opening and the paneling on the inside.

I'll give the 'tanning/blo/poly' method a shot. Not looking for a real dark look, so stain, or lye won't be necessary. I'll go for just a light tanning and let time do it's work.

And if that doesn't work, I'll buy a UV light and run it at night while I sleep... :rofl: