Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Media Alcove

Media Alcove

Starting another project! Or rather, trying to finish up something I started along time ago.

So here's the alcove, it's where the ugly old fireplace used to be. The new hotness is on the left...

Picked up some sheets of 1/4" A1 Cherry Ply to panel the inside of the alcove

And about 40bf of S4S cherry to build the media center.

Will probably try and test some finishes out to see what I like on the cherry and the cherry ply this weekend. I figure I'll cut the pieces to size, then finish them then install.

I have a design in my head for the frame for the alcove, but nothing concrete on the entertainment center. I'm planning on paneling and putting the frame around it, then putting the entertainment center in later...

The little entertainment center we have now will fit in there while I come up with a design and build it.

Ok, let the heckling begin!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WEB_CANON300D_20101028_171806_0690.jpg   WEB_CANON300D_20101028_170858_0689.jpg   WEB_CANON300D_20101028_170846_0688.jpg  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    bought time ya got around to finishing that up. Allen woulda built a house by now.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Good thing a weekend is coming up. Should be about enough time to get it finished up.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    bought time ya got around to finishing that up. Allen woulda built a house by now.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Any suggestions on what to use for finishing Cherry would be appreciated. Right now I'm planning on:

Applying a conditioner
    Cherrywood Gel Stain
    Semi Gloss Poly.

Like I said, I'll do some tests before I put it in, but tips are welcome!

I am wondering why put cherry stain on cherry wood?

The wood will darken anyway. My mother had me do that with her kitchen cabinets years back. I warned her it would get too dark over time. It did. She complained. I ignored her.

BLO and poly, should do nicely

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    I am wondering why put cherry stain on cherry wood?

The wood will darken anyway. My mother had me do that with her kitchen cabinets years back. I warned her it would get too dark over time. It did. She complained. I ignored her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    BLO and poly, should do nicely
    But first set it out tomarrow and let it have a sun tan.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Well, I'll give a suntan a shot.

These will be in a position where in the long run they will get very little sun. Will they still darken due to age without UV exposure?

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't want it to be 'really dark', just to add some contrast to the maple in the kitchen and fireplace mantle. And to complicate things, I dont want it to be too light, as it will be housing the big screen...