Media Alcove

Take a piece of tape and block out the sun in a corner or two. When you remove the tape you can check progress. You might even be able to make a little tutorial, about sun tanning.

Hmm, Steve, that's a pretty good idea...

I could put a series of tapes on a piece and pull them off at specified times to get a 'range of colors....

Might be worth it, although the colors would only ever be a starting point...

hmmm strange, in all my 63 years I have never seen cherry turn black from UV exposure. I have refurbish some 110+ year old antiques and they are dark rich brown but not black and this is in Arizona where we get a fair amount of sun light.

If its not finished, it looks like its turning black to me.

Brent i would add to what Steve said. I notice you say you are going to "cut them out" whatever that means. Well a cut implies a left over.

So if you want to err on side of caution you could do Steve trick with the tape on a piece of offcut. That way you dont risk the main pieces until you clear on the process, finish included. Scrap provides the opportunity for experimenation.

I am with Art i would go for a film finish for that kind of thing. Not that i have a ton of finishing experience. :rofl:

Ok, let the heckling begin! :whistling::hide:

OK, I'm a little late tonight but...1985 called and wants the fan back. :D Are the blades warped on it or is it just the pic?

Looks like it will be a fun project. I got my IR repeater in, we're putting all the A/V equipment in the closet next to the TV, so just a TV on the wall and wall wart speakers around the room (may do ceiling speakers though).

Actually, if you want two other fans just like those...I just took them down. :D

OK, I'm a little late tonight but...1985 called and wants the fan back. :D Are the blades warped on it or is it just the pic?

Not just the pic... The fan has to go... :thumb:

You did see the previous thread about the ugly old fireplace, right?

Hate it with a passion, but it's low on the priority list right now...

You did see the previous thread about the ugly old fireplace, right?

Hate it with a passion, but it's low on the priority list right now...

Oh I know about low on the priority list. Was wanting insulation and a pellet stove for the shop, but noooooo...my wife wants cabinets done in the kitchen. :rolleyes: Hitting 33 degrees tonight...really want at least insulation...guess I'm going to have to start stealing the neighbor's morning papers to pack in the walls of the shop.:whistling:

I hear ya, We have some decent days at times, but the seasons, they be a changing....

But we've been shopping for new ceiling fans. Hate the brass, hate the 3 little 'shooters' of light... I want something a little smaller, sleeker, low profile. It's not like it'll be the main source of light...

You've definitely inspired us. We've been in this place for a few years now and haven't done anything. But the stories of your exploits have gotten us to the point where we are finally motivated.

I'm actually planning on redoing the kitchen floor this weekend, if I can get it painted first....

Sounds like as good of excuse as any for a...

Ceiling Fan Piñata Party!

attachment.php

Add me to the BLO and poly on cherry crowd. With or without a suntan, and in all the varying shades in between, I still like the look of natural cherry better than any stained cherry I've seen. The BLO alone will darken the cherry enough that it'll contrast nicely with maple, and only get better as it gets older.

Attachments

• Brent's Pinata Party.jpg
    Brent's Pinata Party.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 37
Wow, give the guy some grief why don't ya? :) I'm looking forward to watching the build Brent. I am always startled by how much a small cherry box that I made for my mom has darkened each time I visit. It sets where it catches indirect sun diffused through a Japanese Maple in front of a living room window and it has still darkened a lot over a few years. BLO and shellac.