Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant for the day,

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Rant for the day,

I went to one of the wood suppliers that I use today to get some wood for a project for the church. I need to make 14 plaques. each one will be 15x 16.5 and shaped like a shield. They will be painted so all I wanted was some clear wood that I could put together with a minimum amount of glue up. I selected some clear pine 9 " wide so I could get the width with 1 seam. Actauly the wood was 9.25" x 72" for the prototype. It was 5/4 thick. I figured 5.78 db.ft. at $3/bdft for clear pine came to $17.34. Now keep in mind I have bought well over a thousand of bd. ft. of other lumber from this supplier this year so he know me on site. They have recently had a change in ownership the father sold the business top the daughter so there is a change in management.
    Any how when the clerk rang up the order his figereing was higher then mine by .6 bd ft. which admittly isn't much but it's the principle of the thing. He said they figered the bd. ft. based on the pre-milled width and my 9.25 boards started out as 10" wide. At the time I didn't say any thing but now it is really bugging me. I'll go back and give them the chance to make it right but I may be eliminating one of my suppliers from my list.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I've yet to figure out the board feet from my purchase today. Guess I'll go do that tomorrow and see how much I got ripped off.

It's one of those things where, eh, cherry doesn't really grow on trees around here, so I know I paid a higher price than the guys back east.

I expect to be disappointed by a few board feet at least... I will report back..

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    It's one of those things where, eh, cherry doesn't really grow on trees around here,
    EEeRRr, we planted two cherry trees a year ago. Oh, they only are 3" wide, so maybe you are right. Check back in, in 10=15 years or so

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Don, it sounds like this could be part of that Trust thread. Bummer. Yeah it's unfortunate that most businesses act like "what have you done for me lately." I would expect them to give you a good price just because you say it's for the church. I'll be interested to see what kind of price and service I get next time
    from the place I just bought all that Ash from.......

This is why when I buy big ticket tools, I deal with the manager at one particular store. If I talk to him I always get about 20% off, no matter what it is. Talk to anyone else, you get the price on the sticker.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I figer they ripped me off for $1.40 which ain't much but it's th principle of the thing. how much did they rip me off on the church commission.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

If it was S4S, I thought it was common to charge for the pre-milled size. Not necessarily cool, but fairly common. Still, for a customer who has spent as much money there as you have, they should be rounding numbers in your favor, not theirs.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My yard charges pre-milled size on S4S. I do have to watch the one guy who is there off and on when I'm buying natural edge stuff as he has a tenancy to just measure and not look at what he is measuring. They measure natural edge at pre-milled (full quarter) thickness but actual width(?). They are on the lower end of the pricing swings for a given species so I'm OK with it. The next closets place with reasonable quality stock is over an hour round trip, my usual yard is 10 minutes away.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Doesn't sound out of line to me. I'll look at a few of my past receipts just to be sure though.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-27-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Sorry to hear this Don. You hit a nerve with me on that one. I share your experience.

The whole bdft concept is out of date to me. Wish someone would overhaul the industry and make it like everything else. Put a price on the piece of wood period. Then i know when i am looking if i feel that piece is of value or not to me as the consumer. I really dont like the Russian Roulette concept at the end. There have been more than one occassion where i have put the whole lot back and walked out because of huge difference of opinion as to the bdft and then the calculation that follows.

Perhaps the daughter is now feeling that Dad has been to generous over the years and is trying to make the place more viable who knows. Still no way to introduce a change in pricing policy.
    cheers