Nana Gloat Part II

Well, I got a package from my mom today. I guess she got lucky at the thrift store again. :clap: :champagne: :thumb:

nanagloatoct2810.jpg

The brad point bits are magnetic (unless it's because it's near Halloween) and are metric. The spade bits have imperial units. I'm assuming those are little planes in front. Both are marked Stanley, #79 and #15. Is that little one supposed to have a handle? or do you hold it just like that. They seem to be in great shape, just a little dirty. No rust.

Don't know the quality of the chisels--I can't quite read the name on them....Stub something? I think it says made in Austria. They seem to be in good shape--just need some sharpening. And another book. I love books. :D A couple more of those corner clamps....I've got enough of those now to sink a battleship. A nail set--useful, I didn't have one.

Whenever I lay things out like this and take a photo, it always reminds me of the game I used to organize for my kids' birthday parties where you walk by with a tray full of random items then leave and each kid writes down as many things that he/she saw as he/she can. :rofl:

Stubai is an Austrian chisel maker.

All look good, I need to get me a spoke shave, the two handled plane you have there, it can be a very useful tool.

That book is very good too, you can learn a lot from it.

Way to go Mom! :thumb:

Cynthia,
The little plane is a Stanley #79. Its intended use is cleaning up the sides of dados (grooves) or rabbets, or for final fitting of them. The plane appears to be complete.

You just set it in the dado and push or pull it along the edge to smooth out - and/or widen - it. The plane cuts in both directions, but to work well it has to be set for a very fine cut.

Great haul, BTW. Mom done good. :D

Cynthia i would say let Nana do all your tool shopping in future. She has an eye for good stuff. I have never seen one of those #79 before. Real nice haul and addition. The spokeshave is a useful tool if you sharpen it up. Use some Evaporust to remove the rust. You can get it at CT or LV and its easy on the hands and environment and works like a bomb also leaves a coating if you dont dry the tools off which will stop further rust.

Jim you got good eyes. :)

I need to get me a spoke shave

:eek::eek: Stu are you kidding? I am amazed you dont have a spokeshave yet?:huh: What with all your planes and hand tools.:)

Cool!

And hang on to the corner clamps. They are a great set of 'hands' when assembling. I don't use them for glue clamping. I use them to hold pieces in relative position until I can get the 'real' clamps in place.

My own arms aren't long enough and I only have two! :rofl::rofl:

Cynthia i would say let Nana do all your tool shopping in future. She has an eye for good stuff. I have never seen one of those #79 before. Real nice haul and addition. The spokeshave is a useful tool if you sharpen it up. Use some Evaporust to remove the rust. You can get it at CT or LV and its easy on the hands and environment and works like a bomb also leaves a coating if you dont dry the tools off which will stop further rust.

Jim you got good eyes. :)

:eek::eek: Stu are you kidding? I am amazed you dont have a spokeshave yet?:huh: What with all your planes and hand tools.:)

Yep, I've not pulled the trigger on one yet, I will, but not yet. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just make one :D

Looks like a good set of tools there Cynthia. Looks like an awl there too. The Chisels are Stubai and look like a good set. The spoke shave is great to have as is the double sided rabbet plane. Have not seen one of those in awhile. Your Mom did good on that score. :thumb::thumb::thumb: