Thread: More praise for Rikon

Thumbs up More praise for Rikon

The power switch on my belt/disk sander would not turn off and could not be repaired. One call to Rikon and a new switch is on the way.... FREE! This is for a 5 year old machine, way out of warranty.

As if that were not good enough, I mentioned to him that I have been having a problem with guide bearing squeal on my band saw (detailed here a few months ago) and in spite of my cleaning and lubricating it kept recurring. It seems they no longer use the same bearing in this saw, but have switched to a higher cost sealed bearing. McMaster gets $8 each for them and the saw takes 10! However, Rikon sells them to their customers for the same price as the old style bearing, $4.95. So, they are on the way too! No shipping charge as he will put them in the same package as my free switch.

This is the second time I have needed to contact Rikon support and I have come away more than satisfied each time. Nice to deal with a company that takes care of its past customers (he thanked me several times for purchasing their equipment) and does not place all their energy into trying to find new customers.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie, that is good to hear. I am is the market for a sander and have been looking at the Rikon one with the 10" disk, 6"x 48" belt. I have not heard much said about it. Is that the one you have? I want to try come segmenting so I need to be able to set the table accurately. That looks (from the pictures) to be a weak spot. My other option is the Jet 12" disk sander, which gets great review, bit it is spendie for just a disk sander. More than the Rikon and no belt sander. I'd appreciate you input on the Rikon.

I'd also appreciate input from others on sanders.

Thanks.
    "We the People ......"

Yeah, but they are not "Made in the USA" right, so they suck....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Sounds like a Kirby vacuum cleaner.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Would have been better if it were, but that's the way things are. At least the service call is answered and processed here.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Rennie, that is good to hear. I am is the market for a sander and have been looking at the Rikon one with the 10" disk, 6"x 48" belt. I have not heard much said about it. Is that the one you have? I want to try come segmenting so I need to be able to set the table accurately. That looks (from the pictures) to be a weak spot. My other option is the Jet 12" disk sander, which gets great review, bit it is spendie for just a disk sander. More than the Rikon and no belt sander. I'd appreciate you input on the Rikon.

I'd also appreciate input from others on sanders.

Thanks.
    You may be right on the table setting. It can be finicky. The machine works well and the switch is the only problem I've had with it. Setting the table to 90 or 45 has not been to much of an issue, but it is not easy either. The miter gauge that comes with it is a throw-away, but most of them are.

www.wrworkshop.com