Sending Wood across the Border

Wood is exported and import all around the world in both full log form and finished lumber. I don't remember the regs for shipping into Canada or from Canada into the U.S., but most likely small quantities will be no problem, but larger pieces or large quantities could likely need approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and/or it's counter part in Canada. If in doubt you could call them. It's possible on large sized shipments you will need a phytosanitary certificate and to obtain one, you may need a fumigation certificate... I remember shipping to Australia and requiring the fumigation on a regular basis... we had to make sure there was no bark on the lumber and it was fumigated overnight in the containers.... these were pallets and sheath boxes for equipment we boxed for export to Australia.

I also imported my plywood from Brazil... it was cheaper than going around the block to the local Georgia Pacific warehouse since we used plywood by the train car load... don't remember having any problems with that, other than finding ships at the ports to get the containers into the U.S.... but then plywood is processed wood, not raw and the process may have substituted for the fumigation.

Never to Canada. But to other countries. Only problem was a box of wood sent to Australia. Some pieces still had bark on them. Authorities got their shorts bunched up over that and held those for close inspection.

Some U.S. states are now quarantining wood movement due to the Emerald Ash Borer infestations. Ohio and Michigan for sure, and I think maybe Illinois and Indiana, too. It's even illegal for campers to bring firewood into the quarantined areas.

How that might affect small mail shipments, I don't know.

One time I wrapped a plank, 1.5"x6"x18", in brown paper and addressed it. Took to USPO and plopped it on the counter, he said "whats that, Wood?" I said yes, he marked as a Book and posted it at book rate. :thumb: