Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending Wood across the Border

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Sending Wood across the Border

Has anyone tried to send pieces of (unfinished) wood internationally or between the US and Canada?

Can it be done?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Found a forum discussion in regards to this subject nin 2009. here is the link you might get your answer there.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=25881
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I think they have to have no bark on them coming into canada something about bugs and fungus infecting certain parts of the country. it is understandable as not everyone is reasonable.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Stu sent me wood from Japan and I've sent pen planks to Canada with no problems or questions.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    How about going *to* the US from elsewhere (Canada)?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    I have sent pen blanks to Australia, USA, & England, as well as received them from Spain, Australia, England, USA, Japan etc. with no problem. Show as "pen blanks", "hobby supplies" and such.
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-27-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Wood is exported and import all around the world in both full log form and finished lumber. I don't remember the regs for shipping into Canada or from Canada into the U.S., but most likely small quantities will be no problem, but larger pieces or large quantities could likely need approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and/or it's counter part in Canada. If in doubt you could call them. It's possible on large sized shipments you will need a phytosanitary certificate and to obtain one, you may need a fumigation certificate... I remember shipping to Australia and requiring the fumigation on a regular basis... we had to make sure there was no bark on the lumber and it was fumigated overnight in the containers.... these were pallets and sheath boxes for equipment we boxed for export to Australia.

I also imported my plywood from Brazil... it was cheaper than going around the block to the local Georgia Pacific warehouse since we used plywood by the train car load... don't remember having any problems with that, other than finding ships at the ports to get the containers into the U.S.... but then plywood is processed wood, not raw and the process may have substituted for the fumigation.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Never to Canada. But to other countries. Only problem was a box of wood sent to Australia. Some pieces still had bark on them. Authorities got their shorts bunched up over that and held those for close inspection.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Some U.S. states are now quarantining wood movement due to the Emerald Ash Borer infestations. Ohio and Michigan for sure, and I think maybe Illinois and Indiana, too. It's even illegal for campers to bring firewood into the quarantined areas.

How that might affect small mail shipments, I don't know.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!