Lost Another Drive Belt

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Even though I'm posting this in the "Turning Tool Show and Tell" forum, this is more of a "stomp and moan" thread.

I was roughing out a big red eucalyptus blank today, and started noticing the piece was slowing down more and more as I leaned into the cut (and not a real heavy cut). Eventually, it got to the point where even a light cut would significantly slow down the piece. A quick check confirmed that the toothed drive belt was in need of dentures...the teeth were worn down to nubs. :( At least I caught it before the belt broke completely, like last time.

So...I pulled the Reeves drive apart and opened it up so when I get the new belt it'll only take about 5 or 10 minutes to button it all back up. I've already ordered one of Sears' overpriced belts, but I plan to call Palmgren Monday and see what they charge for the same belt. If they're cheaper, I'll order another one (or two) to have on hand as spares.

Dang, I wish LOML would win the Lottery, so I could just buy a Powermatic or Oneway or Stubby or similar and get it over with. The beltless DVR is sounding pretty good right about now, too. :bang:

The beltless DVR is sounding pretty good right about now, too. :bang:

It sounds great every time I turn it on :D

Maybe a deal will come your way, as the "New" DVR Xp is out, maybe you can find a used DVR 3000..........?

At least you had a spare, you'd be ranting a lot more, if that had happened and you did not have a spare!

Cheers!

As I recall, that was just recently you put in that new belt.
Now, if it were a Grizzly, they would give you a new one if it were less than a year old. :thumb:
Actually, I'm ready to upgrade from the Reeves drive. We have a tractor to sell. If wife will allow, I'll use those funds for a lathe. Or sell some of my guns. We'll see.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Vaughn when you call Palmgren ask them about a modification for that belt. I think they had a mod come out where they changed the pulley and belt because they had problems. I am not sure but I think it was lot #2003. By the way I just ordered 2 sets of the 3 belts. I am not going down because of the belts. This way if one goes I still have one in the bank while I order another one. I know they cost but it irritates me to be down when I could have one sitting in the drawer.

As I recall, that was just recently you put in that new belt.
Now, if it were a Grizzly, they would give you a new one if it were less than a year old. :thumb:
Actually, I'm ready to upgrade from the Reeves drive. We have a tractor to sell. If wife will allow, I'll use those funds for a lathe. Or sell some of my guns. We'll see.

Frank have you checked out the new Grizzly 1642 with a variable speed high 0-3200 and low 0-1200? Looks like a heck of a machine at about $600 to $700 less than the Jet 1642.

Frank have you checked out the new Grizzly 1642 with a variable speed high 0-3200 and low 0-1200? Looks like a heck of a machine at about $600 to $700 less than the Jet 1642.

I will look at one in the flesh this coming Saturday when I'm in Springfield, MO.
It is high on the list for replacement of my G1067Z with a 600 rpm slowest speed.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Vaughn when you call Palmgren ask them about a modification for that belt. I think they had a mod come out where they changed the pulley and belt because they had problems. I am not sure but I think it was lot #2003. By the way I just ordered 2 sets of the 3 belts. I am not going down because of the belts. This way if one goes I still have one in the bank while I order another one. I know they cost but it irritates me to be down when I could have one sitting in the drawer.
Where did you order the belts from, Bernie? I called the phone number listed on the Palmgren website, and was I referred to a distributor. I thought I'd read about other guys getting replacement parts directly from Palmgren. Any suggestions?

BTW Stu, I didn't have a replacement in stock, so I'm out of luck until a replacement gets here. :(

Frank, I most recently replaced the Reeves belt, but I did replace the drive belt not too long ago. I'm getting real good at tearing the innards apart, though. ;)

Vaughn when I get home tonight from work I will get you the Palmgren number I have. I always ask for Mark when I call. Did you ask them about the modification to that lathe? I think you get a new belt and pulley for it. I was told that lot 2003 had a bad pulley and ruined the belt. I know it ate 2 of those belts on mine before Mark just shipped me a new headstock. I didn't realize they had distributors besides Amazon and Sears. Sorry Vaughn I got my belts from Sears. I would still call and ask for Mark at Palmgren. Make sure with Mark that your pulley is ok.

Last edited: