Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Apps "Games Etc"

iPhone Apps "Games Etc"

On November 9th I'll be checking in to the hospital for the second operation on my back to remove more flesh from the area my Malignant Melanoma was, this is an operation to "make sure they got it all" if that makes sense. As the Melanoma was large, they are taking a fairly large dollop of flesh this time, I'm told it will be about the size of a Hockey puck, well just a bit smaller than that, or, for those of you who did not grow up playing on frozen ponds, slightly bigger than a Skoal can.

The docs are not being very forthcoming about recovery time, I've been able to nail them down to a window of one week to three weeks (or more) of hospital stay I know there are a lot of variables, but man, that is quite the discrepancy

I figured out how to convert movies from DVDs to upload them onto my iPhone, but I can't do that many, but I wanted to add some good time killers too, you might call them games I have solitaire and Othello, but was looking for something a bit more interesting, I honestly do not know how much I'll be able to use them or how bad off I'll be, but if they are on the iPhone there to use, they could relieve the boredom. I'm really bad at just sitting around doing nothing, it drives me nuts!

Thus, I'm asking for your suggestions for the iPhone 3Gs I have, I don't mind paying a buck or two for a good game either.

Thanks!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The two on my phone that get the most use are Midnight Pool and Need for Speed Underground.

Others that are currently on my phone:

Need For Speed Shift
    Yahtzee Adventure
    MX Mayhem
    Real Racing
    Blackjack Free

Others I've had that were decent, but recently removed to free up some space:

Asphalt 5
    Daredevil Dave: Motorcycle Stuntman (funny game, but takes almost 100 MB of space)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The ONLY game on my iPhone, and it can be very addictive, is Unblock Me (Free).
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Stu,
    I haven't had my iTouch long enough to get a decent collection on it, And so far the only app I've paid for is ForumRunner, which lets me browse here (you guys really must rate, huh?). That being said. check out iClassics which is a free ebook reader with tons of free 'good' literature (three musketeers, 10,000 leagues under the sea... War & Peace (always good if you can't get to sleep...), but I pretty much bought my Touch for audiobooks and contacts/planning purposes. Both of which I've been using it for... plus facebook and basic web browsing when I can't get to the iMac (there's a line occasionally..)
    -Ned

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Here comes a ton, you can decide if they are worth the space or money for some:

Games
    Yahtzee Adventures
    Scrabble
    Words with friends
    Trainyard
    Cut the rope
    Angry Birds
    Solitaire
    Tower Madness
    Stick Golf

Misc
    Pulse News - excellent news/feed aggregator
    The Wood Whisperer
    Netflix
    Amazon Kindle
    Slacker/Pandora - free music
    Tapatalk - for the forum

Hope your stay goes well.

Definitely get Forum Runner or TapaTalk. That way you can pester the rest of us here on the forum!

I won't have WiFi nor will I be able to use the 3G function except while in special designated areas, and they are super strict on that. At least with the iPhone I can put it on "Airplane" mode so I can use it for games, music etc, most cell phones here you cannot do that, so they must stay turned off while in the hospital.

I'll check out the games you all mentioned.

Ned, I have some books on there, but they are e-books, I had not thought of audio books I'll have to go and see what I can get, so much stuff I can't get through the Apple store here, just not offered. I wonder if I can download other books with other readers?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I won't have WiFi nor will I be able to use the 3G function except while in special designated areas, and they are super strict on that. At least with the iPhone I can put it on "Airplane" mode so I can use it for games, music etc, most cell phones here you cannot do that, so they must stay turned off while in the hospital.

I'll check out the games you all mentioned.

Ned, I have some books on there, but they are e-books, I had not thought of audio books I'll have to go and see what I can get, so much stuff I can't get through the Apple store here, just not offered. I wonder if I can download other books with other readers?

Cheers!
    Stu,
    I'm not sure if you have access to it over yonder, but audible.com rocks... monthly fee, but you get a new audio book every month, for less than 'street' price. I can send you an invite if you would like.
    -Ned

Skee Ball is one of my favs. Hope the recovery goes quick and as painless as possible.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    If you might get tired of the iphone, I'd be happy to email you some good puzzles that you can print off and take with you....how about pencil and paper? PM me your email address and send you some fun stuff.

Also, I hate to be a bore, but I'm not convinced you can even have your iphone turned on in the hospital. In the hospital in Calgary I couldn't have it turned on. FWIW

cynthia
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie