iPhone Apps "Games Etc"

Stuart Ablett

On November 9th I'll be checking in to the hospital for the second operation on my back to remove more flesh from the area my Malignant Melanoma was, this is an operation to "make sure they got it all" if that makes sense. As the Melanoma was large, they are taking a fairly large dollop of flesh this time, I'm told it will be about the size of a Hockey puck, well just a bit smaller than that, or, for those of you who did not grow up playing on frozen ponds, slightly bigger than a Skoal can. :D

The docs are not being very forthcoming about recovery time, I've been able to nail them down to a window of one week to three weeks (or more) of hospital stay :rolleyes: I know there are a lot of variables, but man, that is quite the discrepancy :(

I figured out how to convert movies from DVDs to upload them onto my iPhone, but I can't do that many, but I wanted to add some good time killers too, you might call them games :rofl: I have solitaire and Othello, but was looking for something a bit more interesting, I honestly do not know how much I'll be able to use them or how bad off I'll be, but if they are on the iPhone there to use, they could relieve the boredom. I'm really bad at just sitting around doing nothing, it drives me nuts! :doh:

Thus, I'm asking for your suggestions for the iPhone 3Gs I have, I don't mind paying a buck or two for a good game either.

Thanks!:wave:

The two on my phone that get the most use are Midnight Pool and Need for Speed Underground.

Others that are currently on my phone:

Need For Speed Shift
Yahtzee Adventure
MX Mayhem
Real Racing
Blackjack Free

Others I've had that were decent, but recently removed to free up some space:

Asphalt 5
Daredevil Dave: Motorcycle Stuntman (funny game, but takes almost 100 MB of space)

Stu,
I haven't had my iTouch long enough to get a decent collection on it, And so far the only app I've paid for is ForumRunner, which lets me browse here (you guys really must rate, huh?). That being said. check out iClassics which is a free ebook reader with tons of free 'good' literature (three musketeers, 10,000 leagues under the sea... War & Peace (always good if you can't get to sleep...), but I pretty much bought my Touch for audiobooks and contacts/planning purposes. Both of which I've been using it for... plus facebook and basic web browsing when I can't get to the iMac (there's a line occasionally..)

Here comes a ton, you can decide if they are worth the space or money for some:

Games
Yahtzee Adventures
Scrabble
Words with friends
Trainyard
Cut the rope
Angry Birds
Solitaire
Tower Madness
Stick Golf

Misc
Pulse News - excellent news/feed aggregator
The Wood Whisperer
Netflix
Amazon Kindle
Slacker/Pandora - free music
Tapatalk - for the forum

Hope your stay goes well.

I won't have WiFi nor will I be able to use the 3G function except while in special designated areas, and they are super strict on that. At least with the iPhone I can put it on "Airplane" mode so I can use it for games, music etc, most cell phones here you cannot do that, so they must stay turned off while in the hospital.

I'll check out the games you all mentioned.

Ned, I have some books on there, but they are e-books, I had not thought of audio books :doh:I'll have to go and see what I can get, so much stuff I can't get through the Apple store here, just not offered. I wonder if I can download other books with other readers?

Cheers!

I won't have WiFi nor will I be able to use the 3G function except while in special designated areas, and they are super strict on that. At least with the iPhone I can put it on "Airplane" mode so I can use it for games, music etc, most cell phones here you cannot do that, so they must stay turned off while in the hospital.

I'll check out the games you all mentioned.

Ned, I have some books on there, but they are e-books, I had not thought of audio books :doh:I'll have to go and see what I can get, so much stuff I can't get through the Apple store here, just not offered. I wonder if I can download other books with other readers?

Cheers!

Stu,
I'm not sure if you have access to it over yonder, but audible.com rocks... monthly fee, but you get a new audio book every month, for less than 'street' price. I can send you an invite if you would like.

If you might get tired of the iphone, I'd be happy to email you some good puzzles that you can print off and take with you....how about pencil and paper? PM me your email address and send you some fun stuff. :)

Also, I hate to be a bore, but I'm not convinced you can even have your iphone turned on in the hospital. In the hospital in Calgary I couldn't have it turned on. FWIW

cynthia :thumb:

Stu,
I'm not sure if you have access to it over yonder, but audible.com rocks... monthly fee, but you get a new audio book every month, for less than 'street' price. I can send you an invite if you would like.

That's a really good idea. Just being able to lie there and listen to a story with your eyes closed. There are terrific lectures you can get on CD from the Smithsonian on history/science etc.

Who has time to play games on their phone? :dunno: Only time I am not busy is when I'm driving...every time I get interested in a game someone seems to run into me...:eek: or the road moves over and I endup in a ditch...:huh: or some idiot jumps in front of me...:doh: Maybe that is why I never win at those games...:eek: Between the bluetooth screaming in my ear and the Campain ads blareing on the radio and all those horns honkin' How am I to concentrate? :huh:

:D:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Also, I hate to be a bore, but I'm not convinced you can even have your iphone turned on in the hospital. In the hospital in Calgary I couldn't have it turned on. FWIW

cynthia :thumb:

While assisting my dad's hospital stays in Calif and Virginia, there was a strict "no cell phones" rule. But upon my little stay last April in Nevada, not only were cell phones allowed, but you could bring your laptop in and play away with their free wifi. (The Virginia nurse just laughed and said, go ahead and use the cell phones).

So, I say call away.

Ditto the Trainyard (it's Canadian, Stu!) And "Trainyard Express" is free so you can try it out first. (and the free one does NOT have any overlap with the paid one, so I'm told, so you get all new puzzles. Great game. Definitely makes you think as you figure out the puzzles.

The kids love the various tower madness type games. We don't buy ANYTHING for them. it's all from the free section of the iphone app store, and there are tons.

I've played these also:
Wild West Pinball is a good pinball game.
Dreamscape is one that I also enjoy.
Bloons Tower Defence (Bloons TD)
Block Touch lite
Flood-It! 2
TapWord (like the classic "Boggle" game)

The kids also recommend:
Soosiz (like Super Mario)
SEED
2360 Battle for Cydonia
The World Of Magic
Tap Tap Revenge 3
Build-a-lot

If you want to know how to fill your iPhone to the max is mere momments, download the entire works of JRR Tolkien and all of the Harry Potter books too :thumb:

I got a great deal on them so I pulled the trigger and got them all, now my iPhone is FULL :eek: Many Many hours of listening on tap.

Audio books rock! :headbang:

I remember was in college and would go home for the holidays, I would get into a book series like LOTR or DUNE and literally spend 4-5 days just reading books all day long and get about 4-5 hour of sleep when I wasn't reading.

Wish I had that kind of free time or the ability to focus for that amount of time now....

You are making surgery and recovery sound fun Stu....

I also got the entire collection of Terry Brooks The Sword of Shannara series which is a series that I read back in High School, I wonder if it will still hold up? :rofl:

Looking for the Bridgeburner series next..... might have to go buy a 120GB iPod :eek: :rolleyes: :wave: