Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faceframe material for paint-grade project

Faceframe material for paint-grade project

I usually use Fir or Maple for stain finished pieces but I need to make a bunch of paint-finish kitchen cabinets for our new house. I find myself wondering what wood is a sensible option for the face frame and other places. I know that on the east coast you'd likely go for Poplar but I live on the west and don't see a lot of it about here on Vancouver Island.

What do you west coast folks use?
    So do I type something witty here?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    poplar would be my choice if you can get it, maybe soft maple.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Alder for face frames on the west coast.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    You could also use Ash. Pretty inexpensive here. Hi from Courtenay!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Alder works great.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Cherry, soft maple, maple, birch, alder.

Basically anything with a closed grain. Oak or hickory don't paint up so well, unless thats the look you're going for.

I kind preffer birch because it machines so easily, but I've been using mostly soft maple on paintgrade stuff just because of cost. I just had 517bd/ft delivered today at $1.60 bd/ft. Its cheap enough you can cut around just about anything and not have too many worries about the cost of waste.

I've been told that something in birch will leach through the paint. I've never seen it though, and it could all be heresy and lies. Or perhaps dependent on the type of paint used.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Just a thought, no experience as cabinet wood, but, how about Aspen.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

If you can find a local sawmill, Soft (or Big Leaf) Maple would be a good choice considering workability, cost and ability to take a finish. That said, I'm also sure any decent lumber yard/hardwood dealer will carry poplar as well. It does grow it on the west coast. However, it's usually in a plantation rather than growing wild.

poplar
    soft maple
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by tim Rowledge View Post
    I usually use Fir or Maple for stain finished pieces but I need to make a bunch of paint-finish kitchen cabinets for our new house. I find myself wondering what wood is a sensible option for the face frame and other places. I know that on the east coast you'd likely go for Poplar but I live on the west and don't see a lot of it about here on Vancouver Island.

What do you west coast folks use?
    Basically your in the Pacific North West & we have Alder growing like weeds around here it's local & works fine.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart