Removing granite back splash!

John Hemenway

We have a full granite back splash (see pic, I hope!). SWMBO wants it GONE! We'd like to save the granite and take it out without breaking. :rofl:

It will be replaced with tile so I don't care if the sheetrock needs replacing.

The largest piece is 17" x 64". Has anyone done this? All advise welcome!! :thumb:

Attachments

• backsplash2.jpg
    backsplash2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 48
How long has it been on there? It's possible the adhesive has deteriorated and prying would pop it loose, but you'd want to pry from all possible spots that you could, had good luck with glass doing this, but not the same. I think if you could cut the drywall around it and just take the drywall with it and remove the drywall after would be less chance of breaking it. Just my .02.

Hate to say this....but I have tried it both times, and both times they cracked. Sorry I can't help:(

That looks tough with the cabinets and counter so tight.

Maybe a heat gun and one of the vibrating multi tools?

Keep those suggestions coming!

The granite has been there 3 years. One of those bad decisions made during the pressure of a remodel.

I have considered cutting out the drywall but access is only to one short edge and perhaps the top. There is only a 1/8" gap between granite and cabinets. I wonder if I can cut two of the possible 4 sides of drywall and pull on the granite with them cool suction cups I see on all the DIY shows. Would the DW screws pull thru?

My other 'plan' was wedges, long wedges and some kind of long thin blade to reach behind and free the mastic. Even as I write this I have my doubts. Seems like a scene from the 'Renovation Realites' show. I might keep a video camera running just so I can make some $$ on 'America's Funniest Home Video' :)

The drywall screws should pull through if you've got a good pull on the front side. Can you get a utility blade through on the other short side? A few scores with it should you through enough drywall to get it to let loose, wont take much of a score, but would cut all the way through on the other sides where you can.

If you go with the suction cups, I'd put a couple of old pillows on the counter, in case it comes loose easier than you think. Should be able to rent those suction cups. Shoot, might try pulling with them before cutting the drywall, never know how well something is attached until you give it a yank.

The oscillating multi tool things have some very thin blades that might be able to fit in the crack between the counter and the granite. I'm amazed at how well they cut...

Vibrating multi tool! Yes a excus..., er, reason for a new tool!

The drywall was installed with lots of screws so it might be tough. I'm most worried about harming the existing counter top. I'll tape it at the seam and put down rosin paper (the red stuff at HD) to get some protection. I've even considered removing the upper cabinets. I installed them so the reverse won't be that bad. :(

I really like Darren's 'just give it a yank'. Fits my 'no guts, no glory' attitude!

john.. i think yur idea of the suction cup thinggys is a good one and the cutting all edges possible is another good point but rosin papaer isnt enough to protct your counter. use card board box material.. its thicker and more cushion when the pull surpizes yu and comes NOW..:eek: you should be prepared to brake your self when that happens..those suction cups are strong and the screws should pull threw.. its the paper that yu need to score if at all possible..

If you're gonna redo the drywall, those cabinets are coming down anyway! ;)

And it's one heck of a lot easier to do the tile without having cabinets in the way! Don't ask me how I know... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

If you're gonna redo the drywall, those cabinets are coming down anyway! ;)

And it's one heck of a lot easier to do the tile without having cabinets in the way! Don't ask me how I know... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

I'm just going to do a patch job to the back splash area. Don't really want to take off the uppers if I can avoid it. We're still looking for a granite guy that has experience doing this. My wife is into mosaic so if it breaks it's just more raw materials for mosaic.:thumb: