Chalices for the dedicated drinkers

I made the original one some time ago and Sue pyrographed it as I wasn't too happy with it overall. I put it in my shop and it sold within 10 minutes so I have made a couple more. The original 9" one is the one on the right. I have since made the other two, the middle one is 12" tall, 5" wide and 3" deep. The biggest, unpyro'd one is 13" tall, the bowl is 4" deep and 6" wide. Don't know how much it'll hold but more of a communal chalice or ceremonial one I should think. Sue has yet to burn that one. The original one held just under 1/2 a bottle of wine.

Pete

Those are very nice, Pete. I like the thicker stems...they have a very nice flow and are a refreshing departure from the norm.

I like making wood goblets... they don't sell as well here as I would like so don't make as many as I did... too many in inventory right now.

What do you hollow them with? I was using a bowl gouge and then cleaning up best I could with a spindle gouge and narrow round nose scraper, but have since found out about the termite tool and it works well... does have a potential for some spectacular catches though... still working on technique with it.

Smaller ones I do with a spindle gouge (1/2") but these larger ones I use a ring tool. Any hollowing tool should be fine. It's the overhang you want to watch out for unless you want to texture them with chatter:D All mine tend to be done end grain for strength in the stem so spindle tools work fine.

Pete