Order of Buying Tools for a New Woodworker

Ok, one of tonight's questions (I have to catch up--I haven't asked any questions for at least a day or two) :D is what should my next big purchase be?

Assume I have a
1) SMS,
2) TS,
3) CS
4) Jigsaw
5) an older 1/4" collet router + getting a heavier duty router/router table shortly
6) getting a Drill Press this week,
7) Orbital Sander
8) Belt Sander (hand held)
9) a good cordless drill + a good little lighter weight cordless drill,

.....so what should the next big purchase be? A planer or a bandsaw? If it's a planer, I'm thinking of that Dewalt 735. How much would I have to spend for a decent band saw? What would you folks recommend? space isn't an issue, but I'd like to keep the budget within reason. Who votes for something other than a bandsaw or a planer?

Thanks all, looking forward to the discussion. :)

A lot depends on what types of things you're building. In my case, I got a bandsaw before I got a planer, but that was because rough lumber isn't readily available in my part of town, and I wanted to do things with curves.

That said, I built a number of projects without either of those tools. My suggestion would be to start building stuff with the tools you already have, and then add tools as you see the need come up for new ones. When I first got back into woodworking, it seemed like I was on a mission to buy one of everything. I've got several tools that were bought back then that still haven't been used enough to justify their purchases.

Cynthia, what are you planning to build next that should determine the next tool. IMHO. I personally see you need A planer for dimensioning the boards for the bookcase build but if your gonna build a chair then a band saw should be next. Being a happy 735 owner I am not going to try to influnce you but... unless you want to spring the extra $$$ and go for a 15" then it is the best tool in it's class.

As usual, I am just about lock-stepped with Don and others. I could have not made a few purchases that ended up sitting around or got very little use if I had found a forum like this BEFORE I started tool collecting.

Pick a small to medium project that might include joinery you will use on other things. For example, a side table with a drawer could involve the same joinery as a large display case or a buffet. As you are making your smaller piece, take note of how things might be done easier with a <insert tool name here>.

I'm with the guys. Let your projects determine the tools in your shop. Don't spend your money on quantity. Spend it on quality.

Well I'm leaning toward the planer because no matter what I do next, I hate paying the $ to buy the lumber S4S. I'd rather have the tools to buy it rough. But I really like the idea of the bandsaw because a) I want to do curves and b) I know it's considered a really safe tool and I think I'm going to like it.

After the bookcases, the next project is built-ins for a big walk-in closet 11' X 11'. After that I think it's a bed with some built-in storage around the head. Then it's some nice outdoor furniture. Some new bathroom vanities, then if I'm still alive it's the kitchen cabinets...:eek: I hear conflicting things about buying tools. I hear "wait until you need it to buy it" and I hear the opposite, "buy what you will need so you don't suffer through a project because you didn't have the right tool or worse have to stop in the middle to wait for a new tool....."

Vaughn, I was waiting for you to say I desperately need a lathe!
dancegirl2.gif

Can I get a decent bandsaw for between $500 and $1000?

"buy what you will need" is not doing something BEFORE buying the tool. It is letting the project determine the tool purchase first.

Your list indicates planer first. Your heart's desire, however, seems to be a band saw. So, in answer to the band saw price question, yes.

One other observation: you mentioned the band saw being safe. All tools are safe used safely. All tools are very dangerous used improperly. The first cut I ever had that needed stitches was done on the band saw. Tools are not inherently safe.

Think about Darren's tag line. "This tool does not have a brain. Use your own." Too true!

"buy what you will need" is not doing something BEFORE buying the tool. It is letting the project determine the tool purchase first.

Your list indicates planer first. Your heart's desire, however, seems to be a band saw. So, in answer to the band saw price question, yes.

One other observation: you mentioned the band saw being safe. All tools are safe used safely. All tools are very dangerous used improperly. The first cut I ever had that needed stitches was done on the band saw. Tools are not inherently safe.

Think about Darren's tag line. "This tool does not have a brain. Use your own." Too true!

Carol, I agree with what you say. I know that the safety lies in the user of the tool. However, I also know that statistically there are more accidents associated with some tools than others. I'm sure there have been numerous threads discussing this. I believe that no matter how careful and safety conscious you are, accidents happen. I used to think that accidents only happen to little kids with parents who aren't watching them closely. That was right before my son, then 2, ate something poison when I turned my back to answer the phone. I'm an expert quilter and I used to think that you had to be an idiot to cut yourself with a rotary cutter. That was right before I seriously cut myself in a class, no less. So all things being equal, I really look forward to a bandsaw, more than some of the other power tools I have although as you say, it sounds like the planer is probably more practical for the next purchase. I try to be really really careful, I promise. :)

Statistics are often skewed. Some tools have much more use than others. For example, the table saw is considered one of the most dangerous tools, but then it is also the most used too, and it is also one of the first tools, that the safety devices are tossed into the corner.

Now, when that first accident occurs, it is helpful to articulate how it happened. First of all, we will be sympathetic, and second, others will also learn from it. But most important, to articulate it means you have to think about it. Not a bad thing!

I know you will careful. No one intentionally hurts themselves in the shop. But stuff happens.

Carol, that brings to mind another question. It's clear to me that it's impossible to do a lot of what people do on the TS without taking off all the safety stuff that sits on top. So should I limit myself to what I can do with the TS *with* all the safety gear, or should I learn to be careful without the safety stuff, and use the TS for all it's worth?

The most important tools in my shop and the ones I use on every project are : Table saw, planer, jointer, and Miter saw.
Looking at the list of projects you are planning on these would be the most useful IMHO.
The bandsaw would not be really useful for the projects you have listed except for the outdoor furniture depending on your design.

Buy your planer new, look for a good deal on a used bandsaw, they are lots out there, be willing to wait for the deal on a good used bandsaw and you will save some money and most likely get a good tool.

Personally, I'd be buying sharpening stones, and some good chisels, as well as a handplane or two, I cannot see how I worked wood for as long as I did without knowing how to sharpen tools and without good handtools. :doh:

Cynthia i think you are getting excellent advise here from people with way more experience than me.

But the advise is only going to be of value if you accept it.

I think Glenn spoke for me. along with all the others and Stu makes such a good point.

Dont get caught up in the marketing hype of the tool manufacturers. There are a huge number of second hand tools out there where you can stretch a tool budget to unbelievable lengths if you are patient and diligent in your search.

Regardless, just because you can get a tool/machine at a good deal does not mean you have to buy it.

Carol makes an excellent point about how the stats on safety are skewed. We look at table saw stats but forget how many jobsite table saws are sold every year. There are many many jigs etc that you can make up to make cutting on your table saw very safe and accurate. Look up Nikki on our forum.Nikki made a ton of jigs and posted the build of them in detail. All of his jigs related to keeping yourself safe by making sure the workpiece was held secure and your hands were away from the cutting edge.

I would also suggest that you take some time to get acquainted with the tools you have. Particulalry your table saw. Check its setup for accuracy of alignment. I dont know how much adjustment there is on your unit, but checking things like the blades alignment to the mitre slot and the fences alignment to the blade etc will certainly get you more in touch with the machine. I dont mean getting familiar with it. Just fully understand it. Give it a throrough cleaning inside. Check the belt tension if its adjustable. Think about making sure you have a couple of blades. Understand the differences and when to use them.

I wish i had my time all over again and that i had discovered this place before i set out on buying my first tool. But the advice you get here will only be of value if its followed.

I can be as stubborn as a mule and when i get a bee in my bonnet nothing seems to be able to stop me from going for it. Specifically tool buying. But i have a few things i would rather not have purchased the way i did as a result.:D

Good luck.

As for Bandsaw recommendations if new look at Grizzly but answer one question for me.

What do you see yourself cutting on a bandsaw for the projects you plan on making?

What do you see yourself planning on the planer for the bookshelves you making.

Think about the tasks and ask some questions as to how to accomplish them. You will be surprised what you can do without.

Again for fear of sounding like a stuck record, look at all that can be achieved with a good router setup and good table saw.:)

I think you got some good advice here. I know personally I have to try and avoid buying new shiny tools just to have them. It's tempting. Instead now I save money up and spend it on things I need at the time. I know you were looking at building some book cases. I'd try and make sure you have all the tools for your next big project.

Of the two you listed, personally I'd go for the planer. It really depends on what type of projects you want to work on and what your local wood supply is like. I think you can't go wrong on the dewalt 735, good choice.

The bandsaw unless you want to do some serious resawing, I'd look for a 14" used model, I see them here around $250 on craigslist occasionally. Grizzly's new bandsaws look nice too, like Rob said.

I could also see getting some chisels and a good low angle block plane, sharpening supplies. I've been amazed at how useful those are. Also clamps are important. A Kreg Jig can be useful for cabinets/bookcases depending on how you want to build them. Do you have a dust collector of any type?

Last edited:
buy tools to do the jobs at hand, not tools and find work for them..and its good to learn to sharpen because a sharp tool is safer than any dull one..also those chisels your mom got you are great.. and once yu decide what you looking for go used and save some money..but i would be hesitant to buy a small used planer.. and when it comes tot he T.Saw if yur dont have that already or looking to get bigger go saw stop..

To answer your question about safety on the table saw: IMHO, the most important safety device is a splitter and a well tuned saw. A guard over the blade is safe only if it doesn't impede your cut. I have a highly modified 'stock' guard mostly to keep the saw dust from spitting back into my face. If you are working indoors, a dust collection system is important and the guard may assist in that area as well.

Some cuts like a dado are not through cuts and therefore an over the top blade guard cannot be used. That does not mean the cut is unsafe.

Get a copy of Kelly Mehler's latest book on the tablesaw. He has done several. They are all good. And he is the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet. He'd fit right in here, and yes, I know him personally. I have met many, many of the better known woodworkers in this country. So trust me when I say you can trust this man to give you the straight skinny. He explains HOW the tablesaw can hurt you. Knowledge is power. That's why you're here. And that is the understanding that Rob is talking about.

Having a certain brand/model of a tool does not guarantee its safety. When I am in the market, one of the things I look at is how easy is it to keep it in tune. But that could be another whole thread - what are the deciding criteria when purchasing a tool. Many tools are simply sold to be sold. A few are sold to be used.

The straightest path to safety with any tool is to have it well-tuned and sharp. Sharpening is a skill you need now, not later. Sharp tools are not only safer, they are much more pleasurable to use.

To answer your question about safety on the table saw: IMHO, the most important safety device is a splitter and a well tuned saw. A guard over the blade is safe only if it doesn't impede your cut. I have a highly modified 'stock' guard mostly to keep the saw dust from spitting back into my face...

Absolutely on target, Carol! Paying close attention to alignment will minimize the danger of kickbacks - and it'll help eliminate burning, blade marks, and other non-niceties, too.

A splitter is an absolute essential as far as I'm concerned. I'm particularly fond of the Biesemeyer splitter, but many others work well, too. I use mine whenever possible.

The guard absolutely MUST be non-intrusive if it's going to get used. Otherwise, it becomes a potential safety problem in and of itself. My preference there is the older style UniGuard. Its split-style blade covering, and its ease of adjustment make it very versatile. Its only drawback is lack of dust collection, but it does at least keep the sawdust out of your face I use mine for everything except maybe panel-raising, or similar stuff.

Your getting lots of advice here Cynthia and all of it is good. You can get into this discussion over and over again in regrards to what tools you will or will not need. The basics will always be there (meaning the hand tools) and everything is built from them. Like Stu said take some time and getr some books and learn how to sharpen chisels and the blades of your planes. These are some of the basics that so many people just skip over on the mad rush to build things. Like bulding a house it all starts with a good foundation and everything else will just flow together after that. Power tools are just an extension of the hand tools. Before planers and jointers and shapers and routers there were a multitude of hand planes, hand saws, bit brace drills....and knowledge of how to use them and care for them. You should see the collection we have in our carpenters union hall all antiques but everyone is still usable (and all built better than the stuff out there today). With tools you get what you pay for.

Band saw is a wonderful tool that does all kinds of wonderful things but how often will you use it? If you have a lathe, all the time. If you are doing curves ( like for furniturer legs) they are great. Resawing lumber .... Now just how much you use it will depend on what you are planning to do. It could just sit in your shop doing nothing for a long time.

In regards to the table saw. The safety stuff on the table saw can be a pain to take off and put on all the time, but it is there for a reason. Personally I don't even know where my guards are anymore. If you are careful and don't rush yourself and use some common sence all accidents in a shop are preventable. Guards don't work with dadao blades and if your going back and forth between the two all the time you will find that the guards will end up in the same place as miine. I would say that the table saw is one of the most useful tools in the shop but saying that there is a huge difference from Job site saws and cabinet saws. Job site saws limit what you can do due to their size.

Start with the basic tools and with time and projects your shop and tool collection will grow. I have box's and rubbermaids full of tools that i don't use all the time but i do have them when I need them.

This point in my life though I find I just can't remember if I have them or not and this is why I have multiples of certain tools:rofl: Last time I did a tool count I had 8 speed squares and 3 coping saws.... :eek: Of course I go from job site to job site and it is cheaper at times to buy a tool again rather than drive home to get the one I forgot.

Ok enough of the ramblings, geez ya think I was writting a novel :rofl: Start getting a book collection together Cynthia of magazines and thiongs of a more recent nature as things have changed over the years as well as tips and tricks. ( that happens with new tools on the market)

Last edited: