Thread: LV pen

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON

LV pen

Not Lee Valley! Lignum Vitae!

Ambassador Toni sent me a box of wood from Spain containing Spanish Olive Wood, Wenge and a piece of LV.

Toni relates this piece of LV belonged to his father who treasured it as a piece of gold. He estimates it to be 65 - 70 years old.

Nothing I could think of doing with it but turn it into a pen. I have never turned LV, and knowing how hard it is, I thought I would have difficulty turning it. It turns like butter, literally; most likely because of the oils present in the wood.

No sanding required, only a polishing with 0000 steel wool, and a buffing with Caswell's Fine & Ultra-Fine buffing compounds.

The subtleness of the grain is apparent in this pic. A gorgeous pen to be treasured!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2001 004 (Small).jpg  
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

You did it proud Mack!! Gold kit, wood treated like gold, a golden treasure for sure!! How do you like that pen kit?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Wonderful, I bet that pen has some real heft to it

It must be old LV, the stuff that I was buying in the late 80's was all new stuff, and a lot of it was not of great quality, and had quite a bit of green color in it. The wood wholesaler in Vancouver told me that he has started to see the green color in wood starting around the mid 80's as the better quality wood was being over harvested, and younger trees were being felled.

You certainly got a piece of history there!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    You did it proud Mack!! Gold kit, wood treated like gold, a golden treasure for sure!! How do you like that pen kit?
    Hi Jonathon; Thanks for your comment! I really like that pen kit in that it shows off so much wood. My customers like it as well. 20 out of 81 pens sold to date have been this style!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

[QUOTE=Stuart Ablett;246121]Wonderful, I bet that pen has some real heft to it

It must be old LV, the stuff that I was buying in the late 80's was all new stuff, and a lot of it was not of great quality, and had quite a bit of green color in it. The wood wholesaler in Vancouver told me that he has started to see the green color in wood starting around the mid 80's as the better quality wood was being over harvested, and younger trees were being felled.
    Hi Stuart; I was at a friends on Sunday who showed me his LV pen. It very much bears up to what you are saying. Quite a lot of green in it. None in this, for sure!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

Mack that is a beauty for sure. Nice kit against some nice looking LV. I have found that genuine LV color is pretty much the color your pen shows. The Argentine LV does show the green colors as Stu said. I bought some LV from Woodcraft and thought I was buying the real thing but it turned out to be the Argentine LV and it was loaded with green colors in it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well Mac you've fulfilled all my expectations, I'm pretty sure that my dad would be happy if he could see it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...