Entertainment in the Shop

I cannot carry a tune or play an instrument.

Don't let dad kid you; he can play the radio as well as ever.

I have a near-dead laptop in the shop. It basically bootsan operating system, opens a browser to an internet radio provider, streams music and that's about it. Internet radio is a great place for old laptops to go to die.

Previous to that I had a $40 MP3 capable disc player hooked to the same powered speakers. I can load about 150 songs on an MP3 CD disc and I just hit random and let her fly. My Marshall stack days are behind me but I still love music of many, many kinds thanks to mom and dad.

Internet radio sites I enjoy have been scaled down to radioparadise.com and pandora.com but I am sure others will chime in.

I have an old radio with broken cd player and dual compact tape deck in my shop. i leave it on 97.3 Fm in TO. Sometimes it on but lots of times i am like Jim. I like the shop sounds and peace.

I was at one time thinking of TV in the shop. But then i decided that this had potential hazards associated with being distracted. So that idea died a quick death. I think when we are operating machines it needs our full attention, kind of like the issue of driving and texting.:huh:

Besides using earplugs the radio when on just ends up being background sound. All depends on what i am doing. Never have it on loud though, not with my NN.:)

I am in transition - just moved, so my sound system is in pieces,

Wow, John, you like it northern and remote?

I have a remote speaker from the upstairs stereo that I sometimes turn on. Usually don't bother. I've thought of getting some hearing protection that has built-in radio. But again, not a huge priority. Rob worries about the NN, but I worry about the LOML who is upstairs above my basement shop. One of these days maybe I'll insulate it a bit better.

I agree with Rob about the TV... not in my shop.

Saturday Afternoons around here are dedicated to listening to Mick Martins Blues Party.

4 hours of great music. If you follow the link you can listen to past shows online.

Thanks Brent, I will check it out. Suggest you try KPLU (www.kplu.org/listen_now.html), a NPR station here in Washington that is known for it's Jazz & Blues programming. If you like the Blues, then you need to tune in (live streaming) on Saturday & Sunday evenings:

All Blues
Saturdays & Sundays 6:00pm – 12:00am

Every Saturday and Sunday night, KPLU throws a blues party; All Blues, hosted by John Kessler. For a full six hours each evening, John draws from the full spectrum of the blues in his award-winning shows. You’ll heard classic blues recordings from such legends as Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf and Sonny Boy Williamson. You’ll also hear great r&b, soul, funk, swamp, gospel and boogie-woogie blues from all over America and all around the world. Add to that a healthy dose of the best tracks from the latest blues CD releases and you’ve got it: All Blues every Saturday and Sunday night….because, like the aforementioned Wolf, we all gotta howl sometime.

Thanks Brent, I will check it out. Suggest you try KPLU (www.kplu.org/listen_now.html), a NPR station here in Washington that is known for it's Jazz & Blues programming. If you like the Blues, then you need to tune in (live streaming) on Saturday & Sunday evenings:

All Blues
Saturdays & Sundays 6:00pm – 12:00am

Every Saturday and Sunday night, KPLU throws a blues party; All Blues, hosted by John Kessler. For a full six hours each evening, John draws from the full spectrum of the blues in his award-winning shows. You’ll heard classic blues recordings from such legends as Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf and Sonny Boy Williamson. You’ll also hear great r&b, soul, funk, swamp, gospel and boogie-woogie blues from all over America and all around the world. Add to that a healthy dose of the best tracks from the latest blues CD releases and you’ve got it: All Blues every Saturday and Sunday night….because, like the aforementioned Wolf, we all gotta howl sometime.

Sounds like it's worth a listen!

AlohaJoe.com I tune the computer in the next room, Have a set of speakers through the wall into the shop. When the machines are running you can't hear but when doing setups and hand work I enjoy the pleasent listening. :thumb: