Another Family Visit

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I had a visit Tuesday from Jim Burr, who drove all the way from Fresno to my part of Los Angeles to come play with lathes. He recently purchased a Mini Monster Articulating Arm hollowing system from Monster Lathe Tools, and was hoping for a few tips and tricks for using it. As a bonus, he showed up bearing gifts of English walnut, olive, pistachio, almond, and I don't remember what else. All nice woods, and I'm looking forward to opening them up. :D I don't know if he got what he was looking for, but by the end of the afternoon he'd turned a nice hollow form. (OK, I did the easy part and had the outside already rough shaped, but he did all the heavy lifting by hollowing and sanding it.)

Although I've been using the full-sized Monster Articulating Arm system for a couple years, this was my first hands-on session with the mini version. Randy (the guy who makes the tools -- he's also a member here) is continually improving his products, and I saw a few subtle improvements he's made since I bought my rig from him. It's a very nice rig. :thumb:

Here are a few shots for the Picture Police...

Jim busy hollowing:

Jim Burr Visit 01 - 800.jpg

The laser-guided cutter in action:

Jim Burr Visit 02 - 800.jpg

Final shaping of the neck:

Jim Burr Visit 03 - 800.jpg

Jim sanding the bottom as I was showing him how a friction chuck works, and one way to finish a bottom without having a vacuum chuck:

Jim Burr Visit 04 - 800.jpg

And proof I was there, too:

Jim Burr Visit 05 - 800.jpg

Jim's going to have to post pics of the finished piece, since I failed to get any shots of it after it was done. It came out looking very nice, in my opinion. He did a great job hollowing it out, especially for his first real "blind hollowing" experience. He pays attention to what he's doing, and recognized things that can be improved on the next one, but I'm sure he'll be a quick to learn the feel for the hollowing rig.

He's great guy and I know I had a fun day playing in the shop...I hope he did too. :D

And I didn't get lost on the way home:rofl::rofl:
Sincerely, Thanks for opening your home Vaughn :bliss: Your house is a Fine Art museum of your work, and what a difference to touch and and examine what we normally only see a picture of :D And the parting gifts were great!!
If any of you ever have the chance to head of to L.A. and spend a day with Vaughn...it's worth it's weight in ebony...if he doesn't know it...it doesn't need to be known :bow::headbang:...I'm still processing the info and making notes so I don't lose it. Thanks again sir :thumb:

Jim, you're very welcome, and the pleasure was mine. :thumb: I do have to respectfully take exception to this comment, though...

...if he doesn't know it...it doesn't need to be known
As much as I appreciate the sentiments, I still have a LOT left to learn about turning. ;) I'm still an adolescent at this stuff compared to a lot of guys. But we all learn from each other -- I learned a few things from you, too -- and that's part of what makes it all fun. :D