Thread: PC Based ODBII scan tools

PC Based ODBII scan tools

Been thinking about upgrading my car "tools". I've got a ODBII reader, but can't get any sensor info with it, just the codes. Anyone here have or used any of the pc based scan tools? On both of my trucks, the only way to dink with any settings, such as timing, is through a scanner tool.

The one I'm looking at getting is this one:

http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/p...bluetooth.html

with the Scan XL software, which I can get the GM specific modules for:
    http://www.scantool.net/software/scanxl-std.html
    http://www.scantool.net/software/sca...cs-add-on.html

Any input is appreciated...Thanks
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Darren,

Wow, that's cool! Hacking an internal combustion engine! Who knew?

Can you overclock the fuel-air ratio?

Thanks,

Bill

I'm probably in for more than I bargained for to be honest. Been wanting one for a while, but didn't want to spend what they used to cost, but they are cheaper now. This just means after I buy, ODBIII comes out and I have to upgrade and pay what I would have.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Well, ended up buying the scan tool. Works great so far, but for the PID that I needed to check, had to end up paying for the enhanced GM codes package...so spending more than I wanted to already. At least I'll be able to see the cool blinking lights and squiggly lines that it makes for all the sensors now.

My son is excited, his girlfriend's car has had a lot of problems over the last few months and he's wanting to help her out. Over the last year he's fixed several things on it for her, but she's had nothing but bad luck with the mechanics it's gone to lately when he hasn't been able to help her on it.
    Darren

I'm kind of surprised they don't make something to do engine diagnostics with an iPhone/Android device. I have a friend who has a diesel motorhome, and he's got an interface for a Palm Pilot that allows him to dial up different performance curves while going down the road. He's got a dash mount for the Palm, so he can see what's happening and tweak as desired in real time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'm kind of surprised they don't make something to do engine diagnostics with an iPhone/Android device. I have a friend who has a diesel motorhome, and he's got an interface for a Palm Pilot that allows him to dial up different performance curves while going down the road. He's got a dash mount for the Palm, so he can see what's happening and tweak as desired in real time.
    There was an android app for the device I bought, which cost me $4, but again, only does the basic ODBII sensors. It works well, but the "extended" PIDs are only available by license from the car manufacturers, so would have to spend an extra $80 - $100 to be able to read those from the phone. The phone app does have the ability to add and read those PIDs, but have to know the hex code and tolerances for the sensor to read them correctly.
    Darren

Man, and I thought a screwdriver and a vacuum gauge was fancy
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I have a few of the PC based OBDII scan tools but don't have any of the enhanced modules. The problem is the ones I have have not been as good as I had hoped. I have one from The OBD Pro's and they have sent me 3-4 total now and none of them work on My Workhorse Chassis motorhome. They keep making slight mods and sending me another unit but still no joy as they say. The ones they are shipping now can be field upgraded but I haven't gotten an upgrade.

This is the company I tried

http://www.obdpros.com/

It works fine on my Dodge however the first two didn't work on it. The interesting thing is my handheld works on all my vehicles.

I also have a unit that is supposed to be based on the ELM chip that works on my dodge but also failed on my motorhome. I would buy another unit if I could be sure it would work as when they work they are great.

Thanks Darren thank yu very much. Power to the techies taking back the ability to work on our cars.

Now if only they had Jeep or Chrysler diagnostics. Did a search and its not there.
    cheers