You Know You're a Woodworker When...

...when you use the Beatmaster 9000 to whip up an omlette:

Beatmaster 9000 600.jpg

BTW Per, the technical term for that Yamaha isn't kowabungaaaed...it's been kabonged, as in "El Kabong". :D Years ago I fixed an old Gibson SG that had a similar break.

Vaughn,

Thanks,

Cowabunga is surf music.

El Kabong ees Queeeks Draw Mcgraw.

You can see where I screwed up the nomenclature, no?

Per

You make omlettes above your head? :huh: Looks like Vaughn just uses the counter.

Dan
Literally LOL, Dan. :rofl:

Jason, I like the Craftsman drill...got it as a refurb from a Sears website a few years ago. I recently got a 14v Hitachi that I really like. Not quite as much oomph, but lots lighter to use. The Hitachi has become the go-to drill and driver, but I still prefer the Craftsman for the heavier stuff.

You know your a woodworker when.....your "garage" NEVER saw a car or truck in it (other than that forklift to bring that machine that one time) and it has more single & three phase juice in it than the whole town....

When the LOML tells you she didn't buy you a gift to go ahead & buy one for yourself from her. Merry & or happy what ever holiday or special occasion.

When you use all your $5 off rewards from Ace for clamps & avidly watch sales that will allow you to buy my clamps for less. No Besseys please unless their free.

When you have so many projects running through your head your perpetually confused trying to decide which one to do first. I think I think I think Yes I think I'll build the tool chest for under the bench 1st then maybe the Knick Knack dish case above the piano next then maybe the sewing cabinet for the LOML's sewing machine. Oh I'm so confused there is still the cabinet for the bathroom & the long narrow book case/display case for the hall way & then there is the complete set of upper & lower cabinets for the LOML's sewing room. Oh my the confusion & I now have a head ache. But wait theres the roll around cabinet for the lathe tools & chucks & pen turning stuff oh ya I forgot I need to order the olive pen blanks for those pens I need to make. Then there is the cabinet to go under my combination sander oh & the cabinet for under the floor model drill-press. Is there no end?????:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh what happy thought I get to order a pinner & a bunch of pins.:thumb: :thumb: :rofl:

You know I may just be at least a wood thinker.

Yep thats right I just remembered I need to order the wood & sheet goods & hardware for my tool chest.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: the above projects will keep me busy just finding the money to do it all not to mention doing it.:doh: :doh: :dunno:

But wait oh heck its no use theres more much more........................Wheres my Grizzly ball cap?

Last edited:
When you come home from work and go straight to the workshop without going into the house to kiss the spouse hello.

When you make a mistake and know you can come up with a solution for that mistake to keep the project going.*

When you look at a mistake and see a solution instead of a piece of firewood.*

When you ask the spouse to bring dinner to you in the shop because you're right in the middle of a glue-up and can't drop it to go eat.

When you'd rather make sawdust than eat.

When others ask you for help to fix their mistakes, or teach him/her how to do a process, or just ask your advice on how to do something.

*Above courtesy of the woodworking spouse.

Last edited:
When you leave the office at 6 sharp so you can get home before it gets too late to use the loud power tools that wake the world up just so you can do the quiet work late at night when everybody has gone to bed because you know if you don't you will have to wait until the weekend to do it. :eek:

You know you're a woodworker when:

- your once pristine lawn looks awful...........and you don't care.

- you've actually made cheek cuts on a tenon in a suit and tie because you were too excited to go in to the house to change after work.

- your 5 year old son see a dumpster full of wood before you do (DAMHIKT :eek: )

- you meet someone new who you have heard does some (woodworking) too and immediately you begin spouting such terms as "G05055", "Minimax", "Old iron", "frog" and "22-580."

- you go to a party at a buddy's house, who is also a woodworker, and both your wife and his.....loudly.....announce that there will be "NO shop, tool or wood talk."

- you end up in the woodshop anyway.

Best,
Russell

When you're bitterly disaapointed the ice storm hasn't hit yet, which means the university will be open, which means you have to go to work instead of spending the whole day tuning up a trashy plane and and trying to level your new benchtop, but you're really tired because you stayed up till one am sharpening and tuning because you just knew the ice storm would dependably be here...

Who would have thought a soutern california boy would be *hoping* an ice storm on the east coast would be really severe? ;) I must be crazy! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

When your vehicle knows the way to the nearest Lowe's, HD, Rockler, etc. Just turn the key in the ignition, and before you know it, you're there.

Cheers,

Kevin

When...
A friend receives a coffee maker as a gift and tells you he'd like a small table on the sloped floor of his office. He says "nothing fancy, just cheap particle board or cheap plywood."
You're offended and make it out of the White Oak, from another project, with exposed joinery of your choice. :p

............ When every pair of pants you own, except for you good suit (cause the wife WOULD kill me) have glue on them.............

..........when you write down the names of various kinds of wood in a different language and put that paper in your wallet and check it often so you can learn the names, so you can bug the locals for the wood............

.........when the garbagemen complain about all the bags of sawdust you put out on the curb for pick up.............

When you don't want to spend a buck on a can of coffee, and wait till you get home to make it for your self, but spend a cool grand at LV and don't even think about it.............

:D :wave:

...when you start calling the neighborhood farmers to see if they need any planer shavings for bedding for their livestock. (honest...just did it)

...when some of those neighboring farmers are using cherry and walnut planks for their horse stables and wagon racks and you try talking them into using treated lumber. (yep, did that too)