Hollowing error # ?

Dan Mosley

Today i hollowed the vessel pictured below - What went wrong with this one is that
1 - I turned it very very thin - playing around I suppose as I usually do not make them this thin - a little more than 1/16 and less than 1/8"
Long time back I made several very thin walled vessels and then I figured there really is no need to make them so thin - Im over it now.....but once in awhile I still have to push the edge of envelope............:D

2 -I turned the opening at the lip near the top to to final thickness early and I made the error in turning when the boring bar hit the rim as I was cutting an angle inside it and it busted the funnel like top I had made. So, I salvaged it by making a large mouth opening on it. Later ill make a lid for it.

Some say to leave the rim area thick until the end of the hollowing and then turn to final dimension.
Others say to hog and hollow out top to bottom as normal and then starting at the top cut to final thickness and work your way down to the bottom of the vessel.
I have done it both ways and both ways work equally as good in my opinon - it was operator error that blew the top on this one.

Attachments

• P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010035.jpg
    P1010035.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010036.jpg
    P1010036.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 22
I have always went from the top down. There is just to much danger of things happen doing it from the bottom up or hollowing it all out then going back. I have seen demo's by Mike Mahoney, Larry Hasiak, and David Ellsworth. They all have said never hollow it all out and then go back to the top or even the middle. The first one I hollowed I did hollowed the whole thing then went back to thin the top and it wasn't pretty so never tried it again especially when I go thin. Just my $1.298 whatever that is worth.:rofl: