Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop winterization

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Shop winterization

The first freeze is going to happen tonight, and I have a bunch of stuff in the shop I didn't have the last go-round.

Last winter, I just had a set of battery operated tools. The batteries came inside, but the tools stayed out and held up fine. Since then though, I've made several big tool purchases. I know that I'll be bringing in any finishes and glues, but what else should I be doing to protect my investments? We don't have what most would call a predictable winter, so I couldn't tell you if it's going to be dry or wet.

The shop has a little bit of insulation. But the floor is exposed to air over the ground, it has a crappy little window that I've left cracked up until now, and the doors don't close that well - that needs to be a project I take on soon though. No heat, no power.

Thoughts?

GA means Georgia right? Ya'll have winters down there???
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Occasionally. Last year was the coldest in memory. Shouldn't be that cold this year, though.

The shop does stay cooler in the summer, and I think a touch warmer in the winter, but it takes much longer to warm up during the day.

When I was in the garage, I used an old woodstove to try to get enough heat to be comfortable to work without gloves on. Just "buttoning up" the shop and reducing drafts will go a long way towards personal comfort, security from critters and moisture blowing in. See the shop heat poll going on currently to get main ideas.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Yep, stopping drafts was the first thing I went after. Helps a lot. Then I went with a wood stove, as having something to burn is not a problem around here.

I used to keep my finishes and glues in a small cabinet, with a 60 watt light bulb in it. That little light bulb kept the 3 X 3, 16" deep cabinet nice and warm, even in below 0°F temps.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I'm not too concerned about me being warm, it's possible damage to equipment I'm worried about.

As for the light bulb idea - no go. No permanent power in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hatfield View Post
    I'm not too concerned about me being warm, it's possible damage to equipment I'm worried about.

Sounds like you have a neander building. No phone no lights not a single luxury like Robinson Caruso your as primitive as can be. I'll bet you don't have a Mary Ann or Ginger either. Sorry I just couldn't resist. Yes take your finishes & batteries in where it's warm.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hatfield View Post
    Sounds like project #2.

Closing the drafts will dramatically change the environment in there.

As far as tools, just typical maintenance (clean and wax the cast iron, etc.), but when running motors in the cold you might let it run for 5 - 10 seconds longer to get warmed up the first few times. The hot/cold/hot/cold repetition probably would wear them out quicker (if it's really cold out, like below freezing), but most are designed to be used on job sites and in those extremes.

If you're in a freezing area, take the water based finishes inside or to a warmer location. I've left my oil based stuff in the cold, most are still usable, some need to be put through a strainer to use. It usually takes some extreme cold to really affect them, but best to keep them warm if possible.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Guess it's time to move the glue and finishes.... Thanks for the reminder.