Freud 3 and 1/4 vs PC 3 and a 1/4 HP

allen levine

I was going to purchase the PC 7518 this week for my router table.
I received woodcrafts catalog and on black friday(the day after thanksgiving, let me be clear here), the Freud 3 and a 1/4 HP router is on sale for 199, saving me around 125 bucks or so.
Should I wait, or PC takes this one hands down?

Allen,
Sometimes you do get what you pay for. Get the P-C. It's a rock solid, provem-reliable machine that'll give you years of trouble-free service.

Is that the ft 3000? Thats a great price on a very sweet machine! The variable speed vs select a speed and above table adjustment are also nice.

Lots of great machines out there these days. Have you seen the big Milwaukee router? Thats a very nice machine too.

Should I wait, or PC takes this one hands down?

Neither. Buy the Milwaukee. ((Sorry Allen, I couldn't resist. :D ))

I know there are many happy Freud owners out there but I would take the PC in this case. There are 7518's that have been in service longer than the Freuds have existed. JMHO.

My tool guys doesnt even discuss other routers.

I was just looking at the price, with woodcraft offering a huge discount.

Ill wait to see if anyone puts the PC on sale near thanksgiving, but wont hold my breath waiting for it.

Woodcraft does have the Porter cable routers 15% off until Nov 24th also. I think the note says you have to add them to the shopping cart for the discount to show up though.

Amazon has the 7518 with the fixed base for $300 delivered, and the motor only for $270 delivered right now, which is a little cheaper than woodcraft.

It states select routers, but its 349 so 15% off is still 300.
I think my guy was 319, or told me 319, and Id rather buy local for a few bucks more. If it was more than a 10-15% difference overall in price, Id have to discuss it with the tool guy, but I do believe the markup on these machines arent great for them.

It states select routers, but its 349 so 15% off is still 300.
I think my guy was 319, or told me 319, and Id rather buy local for a few bucks more. If it was more than a 10-15% difference overall in price, Id have to discuss it with the tool guy, but I do believe the markup on these machines arent great for them.

On tools, if they make 20 points on it they jump for joy. Most often unless its a specialty tool it's only 10-15 points.

Allen not trying to be argumentative but Jeb is right. You have to put the item in the cart to see the $279 price then there is the issue of shipping which is free and btw what taxes would you pay in NY.

I dunno but through the internet there is that saving too sometimes.

So you could get it for $279 from what i see. OOOPS sorry i see you pay the taxes so its back to over 300.

Last edited:
Those one handed above table bit changes, above table height adjust, and above table height lock on the FT3000 are extremely convenient features. I wish my MW5625 had that feature set....

Grizzly has the milwaukee 3-1/2 hp router for $259.95 and $18.70 for shipping.It has variable speed and soft start. Thats $278.65 delivered.

Im going away for a few days this week, but next week, depending on when the saw comes in for me, I think Ill make a road trip to Grizzley PA, give me a thrill for a day. Ah, the beauty of retirment. (and if ya think the milwaukee is as good as PC, Ill pick one up)

Im going away for a few days this week, but next week, depending on when the saw comes in for me, I think Ill make a road trip to Grizzley PA, give me a thrill for a day. Ah, the beauty of retirment. (and if ya think the milwaukee is as good as PC, Ill pick one up)

I am jealous of your free time :). I prefer the Mil but that is probably due to using one for years and growing fond of it. Both are locomotives when it comes to power. Continuously variable speed is nice but, hardly a deal breaker.

Its making me lazy.
I watched a movie last night till 3 am, and didnt wake up today until 10:30, and its noon and havent sat down for my morning coffee yet.
Its raining heavy with snow flurries here today, guess Ill skip the shop and go back to sleep.

Its making me lazy.
I watched a movie last night till 3 am, and didnt wake up today until 10:30, and its noon and havent sat down for my morning coffee yet.
Its raining heavy with snow flurries here today, guess Ill skip the shop and go back to sleep.

Yeah, Allen, those are some of the 'bennies' of retirement. You couldn't have done any of those things a few weeks ago. :D

Also, now there's no rush to get anything done. Always plenty of time - tomorrow, next week, next month... :D:D

I feel a bit guilty that my wife has to go to work everyday and I get to sleep or lounge around. Shes very quiet in the morning and doesnt turn on any lights, and slithers out the door and Im not awake. Just a very strange feeling for someone whos worked their entire life.

I feel a bit guilty that my wife has to go to work everyday and I get to sleep or lounge around. Shes very quiet in the morning and doesnt turn on any lights, and slithers out the door and Im not awake. Just a very strange feeling for someone whos worked their entire life.

Don't worry Allen you'll get used to it and that feeling will go away.