Who would recommend the Nova G3 chuck

I have a G3 and a Supernova 2. Both are great chucks, and I use them pretty much interchangeably. I would be jumping on the G3 sale (which includes a variety of jaws) right now if I had the money. I heartily recommend it, and that's a great price for all the pieces you get. :thumb:

My understanding is that the RH/LH designation indicates there is a set screw on the insert to lock the chuck onto the spindle for turning in reverse. I don't remember which lathe you have, but if it has reverse capabilities, I'd suggest the RH/LH insert.

That said, I can't remember the last time I actually locked my chuck onto the spindle. I do sand in reverse, but I'm doing it lightly and slowly enough that I've not had any problems with the chuck unscrewing while the lathe is running. If I was actually cutting with the lathe in reverse, I'd be sure to lock it.

And you're right...the inserts are a bit pricey. You can also buy non-Nova inserts for the Nova chucks for a bit less, but I've read of several people having problems with them, so I'd pay the price for the real thing. Apparently the copies are not made to as tight of tolerances as the Nova inserts.

Thanks Vaughn. I have a older Rockwell 46-450 lathe. It does not have reverse so that does indeed answer that for me. I just noticed on their site they have free shipping on $25.00 or more..... so I guess that in itself will pay for the insert.