Another Repaired Car Rant

So we've had an issue with the DVC/Slip on our 2005 Pathfinder a year ago (losing all power to the wheels, randomly). Got it fixed, thankfully under warranty.

A few weeks ago, the same symptoms came up. Took it to the dealer and this time they said was due to a corroded battery cable that was causing a weak battery and sending wrong signals. Supposedly got it fixed, Thursday.

Well, today, the day after picking it up from the dealer, lost all power to the wheels. I mean all. Usually I could shut the engine off and it would be fine till the next incident, but now I was dead in the water. Luckily, I remembered that if I turned the DVC off, I could limp home.

Called the dealer and will take the car in tomorrow for another try. Oh, and the cruise control all of a sudden stopped working.

Just further proof that the most likely time your vehicle will break down is right after you have it fixed. Guess will be taking Bubba up to Tahoe on Thu, instead

:(:(:doh::dunno::huh::doh::dunno:

Last edited:
I don't think I would like this to happen as I go across a highway! Dang gone, sometimes the farther we go with electronics the behinder we get! Hope this gets solved and not from your pocket book.

I don't think I would like this to happen as I go across a highway! Dang gone, sometimes the farther we go with electronics the behinder we get! Hope this gets solved and not from your pocket book.

Yes, leading up to "supposedly" getting it fixed this last time, I was driving very "gingerly" to not stall out on entering the highway from our place and stalling out in the middle of the road. First time it happened, I was pulling over ever 5 miles due to no power to the wheels. (Sure hope Brent gets my 87 Pathfinder fixed soon so I can have a reliable vehicle :rofl::rofl::rofl: and the ROFL is due to an old car being more reliable, not Brent's getting it fixed)

Well for your sake and safety, I hope Brent does too. Be careful. Sounds like an expensive lawn ornament.

Just reminds me of the olden days (68orso Toyota Corona Mark II):

- I would always have to park heading out in the airport parking lot (traveled every week), so after a few days gone, I could single-handedly push it out, get it rolling, jump in and jump start it

- Had to stick a screwdriver down it's carb every morning to get it to started

- Had to change tires with the spare every week

Maybe I should have become a NASCAR pit crew member :dunno::dunno:

Even by the furthest stretch of the imagination, I am not a mechanic.
But, I can see nuts and bolts.
Sometimes I miss my old 1977 Dodge truck. Drove 23 years and over 500,000 miles. If something broke I could usually see the problem, remove some nuts and bolts and fix or replace whatever was going bad.

You have lived a sheltered life my friend. There is nothing fast about a Doge truck with a 318:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If it still moves, that's fast.
Actually, the only reason I got rid of that truck was because I felt I was old enough to deserve air conditioning. And, I don't mean the kind that includes road dust coming up at me through the rusted out floor.

So we've had an issue with the DVC/Slip on our 2005 Pathfinder a year ago (losing all power to the wheels, randomly). Got it fixed, thankfully under warranty.

A few weeks ago, the same symptoms came up. Took it to the dealer and this time they said was due to a corroded battery cable that was causing a weak battery and sending wrong signals. Supposedly got it fixed, Thursday.

Well, today, the day after picking it up from the dealer, lost all power to the wheels. I mean all. Usually I could shut the engine off and it would be fine till the next incident, but now I was dead in the water. Luckily, I remembered that if I turned the DVC off, I could limp home.

Called the dealer and will take the car in tomorrow for another try. Oh, and the cruise control all of a sudden stopped working.

Just further proof that the most likely time your vehicle will break down is right after you have it fixed. Guess will be taking Bubba up to Tahoe on Thu, instead

:(:(:doh::dunno::huh::doh::dunno:

Sharon
That sounds like a "Not Repaired Car Rant" to me!

OK, don't get me started

Too late

So we dropped the Pathfinder off for the exact same problem on Saturday. Supposedly it was a gasket and something else. They fixed it and test drove it three times. We went down tonight to pick it up and sure enough, the check engine, DVC and Slip lights came on as I started it up

They couldn't believe it. So I had to call Brent back to pick me up and let them try again (3 times in a week) tomorrow. For us it's a 2 hour round trip...very frustrating

Guess we are taking the F-350 to Tahoe instead:dunno::dunno::doh::(:(

Sharon,
Makes me think of my VW bus... we had a camper bus that every time my wife drove it, it would die at the stop signs... I didn't seem to have the problem, but she did. the mechanic that started the saga, told me what it was the first trip in, but VW management wouldn't listen to him and wouldn't let him tear down the carbs to fix what he saw as the problem... this 72 HP - 4 cylinder bus had two carbs and the mechanic said they weren't balanced... After NINETEEN (that 19) drips to the dealer, they finally discovered what was wrong... one of the carbs had a crimped jet.

Dang gone, sometimes the farther we go with electronics the behinder we get! Hope this gets solved and not from your pocket book.

I'm thinking you're right... all this electronics is supposed to give us better gas mileage, easier to use, better service etc.... in 1966 I had a 1964 Corvette with a 327 engine, a Holly AFB carburetor and some kind of special cam... the engine didn't idle smoothly, kinda loped... I got between 16 and 18 miles per gallon... depending on whether I was pushing my foot into the carburetor or not... when it was stolen, I replaced it with a 1965 Corvette with a stock 327 engine... I got better than 20 mpg out of it.... today I have a '91 Ranger 4 cylinder that almost gets 21 mpg on a downhill run with a tail wind... my '96 Avalon will get 23-24 mpg regular driving... on a road trip where it's all freeway driving at 70-80 MPH I'll get a little over 28 mpg..... all this technology hasn't really done all that much for cars... just added more to go wrong.

all this technology hasn't really done all that much for cars... just added more to go wrong.

And made it more difficult for you to fix it yourself.

I can't tell you how annoying it was to drive down to the dealer, (50 minutes), drop Sharon off, start on my way back home only to get a call after 10 minutes that I had to go back to get her, then drive back home. Wasted time I could have used and wasted fuel.

And I still don't think they really have a clue what is going on...

I sometimes wonder how much "Thinking" about the problem they do. They pull the codes, look up what to do, follow the directions, and then when it doesn't fix it, they go through the steps again.

Looks Like I'm going to have to call the Car Talk guys...

I hate to mention this, but have you checked the lemon law in your state? Not that you want to play that card, but it's good to be educated on the subject.

I never heard of such a law until a friend kept having some problems with his mustang bullitt over and over. If I remember correctly, it has to be the same problem three times (maybe different in your state). Kind of a shady deal, the dealer was more aware of the law than he as they started calling\documenting it as different problems than what he was experiencing. In the end he ended up getting back every last dime he paid for the car minus $500 for some fee. He owned the car for over a year and a half.

We'll be checking into it.

It's a 2005, and we haven't had a problem until just recently. Like Sharon said, it's a good thing we got the extended warranty on it...