Can this ugly thing be saved?

Here's a table, sort of, that someone made for Glassman some years ago for him to read blueprints on. Forgive the mess--still not unpacked because most of our furniture is in the *other* house that's for sale.

btable3.jpg

btable1.jpg

btable2.jpg

He has given it to me. That means he doesn't want it. So I have to decide if I want to keep it or not for the shop. There are a few problems. A) it's too high for me. The top isn't flat but angled down toward the front. So the top is about 36" high in the front and 40" high at the back. B) it's not flat on top (obviously).

It's very sturdy and the top is fastened on there tight--not sure exactly how. The sides you can see are one solid piece of ply.

Is there an easy way to a) cut it down and b) make it flat? If not, should I cut it apart and save the pieces? I don't see an easy way, and I'm inclined to dump it......

Thanks and good morning! :)

Take the top off (look inside the cabinets to see how it's attached) and cut the sides & back to make them flat. Reinstall the top, and that's it.

You could probably make the whole thing shorter by cutting the doors down, too. It looks, from the pix, like there's no face frame, and the door is on with piano hinge, so the cut-down shouldn't be too hard.

Everything can be fixed Cynthia it just depends on how much time and effort that you want to put into it. By the looks of it from the pics Like Jim said have a good look at how it is assembled and how much you want to cut it down.

Don't know that I would make it falt. I am always looking for a writing surface. Slanted would be good. Maybe it would be harder to pile stuff there!

I hear the "making it shorter" bit! I'd take the height off the top. Then if you truly want it flat, that is easy to do from the top.