In need of a band saw

Ahh, Ok, I see where you are coming from now.

Of the ones you listed above, I'd go for either the Craftsman 21400 or as vaughn suggested, the Rikon 10" Bench Top Bandsaw, Model 10-305.

The Rikon is probably a little better, but they look pretty similar, so I'm guessing they probably are pretty comparable.

The other two models just look a little too fragile for cutting out the legs of the table you are working on. The Ryobi and the skil look like they would be good for model making, but probably not real woodworking.

I'm sure if you went with the craftsman, you'd find it less tiring than using the B&D jigsaw :thumb:

Chris, I have a saw from HF, thought it the biggest piece of junk. Remembered using it and loving it, don't know why it went to heck. In the lumber yard last year, remembered I didn't have jig saw blades, looked at the price of their bosch blades (knowing the Dollar General had packages of 30 or so for 2.99) but didn't have the spare time, bought one of the bosch jig saw blades. STILL ON THERE, CUT HUNDREDS OF TIMES, MY GOOD SAW IS BACK!!!!! If you are buying those cheap blades in combo packs, go to a lumber yard and get the good bosch blades. You will not regret it. Might even make that B/D run like a chevy camaro. :doh::huh::dunno::p:rofl::rofl:
I am serious about the difference a great blade makes.

That's good advice too. Good blades make a huge difference....

Come again?

Several people suggested a saw that would easily outperform the bandsaws you were looking at, but you dismissed it with "isn't going to happen". Many of us have owned cheap bandsaws, good bandsaws, cheap jigsaws, and good jigsaws. We offered a compact, effective, and relatively inexpensive alternative based on experience, and it was summarily shot down. So yep...I'm sorry I suggested it.

Several people suggested a saw that would easily outperform the bandsaws you were looking at, but you dismissed it with "isn't going to happen". Many of us have owned cheap bandsaws, good bandsaws, cheap jigsaws, and good jigsaws. We offered a compact, effective, and relatively inexpensive alternative based on experience, and it was summarily shot down. So yep...I'm sorry I suggested it.

Thank you for your assistance.

Ahhh, The ole Black and Decker Hand Massager/Jig Saw.... Had one of those before I got my Bosch. World of difference.

Maybe a used Bosch wouldn't break the bank? I see some on ebay for less than 75$ Bosch Jigsaws on Ebay

Mine has taken some serious abuse from me. Broke the aluminum shoe once cutting metal. Got a new shoe and it's as smooth as ever...

The Ryobi is pretty comparable to that B&D, besides probably blade speed. Since I don't have to run a cord out, that means I've been gleefully using the Ryobi since I can just pull a battery and pop it on. I'm willing to wager some of that vibration is due to not being able to secure the piece enough.

Chris, I have a saw from HF, thought it the biggest piece of junk. Remembered using it and loving it, don't know why it went to heck. In the lumber yard last year, remembered I didn't have jig saw blades, looked at the price of their bosch blades (knowing the Dollar General had packages of 30 or so for 2.99) but didn't have the spare time, bought one of the bosch jig saw blades. STILL ON THERE, CUT HUNDREDS OF TIMES, MY GOOD SAW IS BACK!!!!! If you are buying those cheap blades in combo packs, go to a lumber yard and get the good bosch blades. You will not regret it. Might even make that B/D run like a chevy camaro. :doh::huh::dunno::p:rofl::rofl:
I am serious about the difference a great blade makes.

Good point. Indeed, I cannot find the Bosch blades I had been using and grabbed this plain white blade. I had meant to order some a long time ago.
Perhaps a combination of the two will help out.

There's a certain reticence to spend quite a bit of money on a tool they already own. Budget and space aren't my only limitations, if you get my drift. If I could find it used at a really good discount, then that's a different story. At full price, however, it cannot currently be justified.

There's a certain reticence to spend quite a bit of money on a tool they already own. Budget and space aren't my only limitations, if you get my drift. If I could find it used at a really good discount, then that's a different story. At full price, however, it cannot currently be justified.

Been there Done that. Sometimes an upgrade can be justified, other times it can't. I recently got a fairly old DSLR camera at a really great discount to make sure it was something I liked before I ponied up the cash for a newer model. Used is a very viable option at times, if you can get it at the right price.

I'd say try the blades first, then think about your next step. If it works, then you are good to go. If not, then maybe step up to a band saw, but a lot of times it might be worth saving up for a while, and getting something that will last a long time, then something that may not even get the current job done.

Trust me, I've gone through that decision tree a number of times and have erred on both sides more than once....

I want to get it done before retirement. :D

I did a little looking today, and I think it still comes down to this: band saw or dust collector. I've made enough room for one, but not the other. It might be possible to shove both in there, but I'm doubtful. It might also be possible to build a freestanding shelter for the collector. I doubt I'd get permission to do that either.

If I went for a wall mount DC, I might have room for both. But like the advice for the band saw, the near-universal advice is to go bigger.

I'd be happy to take advice on that subject as well. I think I will pass on the 9" saws. If I find a 12" or 14"' saw around the price of the Craftsman, I will give it consideration. I'll be picking up new jig blades tomorrow and see how that works.

I do have a respirator that I've grown quite attached to, so that's not my primary concern.

We've found some chairs for $70/per, which would not be that much more that I would build them for, so we're going that route and allowing for more time to learn this.

It will also give me more time to think about my next step.

Well, turns out that I may have been wrong. I might actually have room for a floor stander after all. And a DC, if I get creative.

Even harder is being able to find the cash to fill the newly won space. Seems like $400 is the absolute floor, new. I've been looking for a few months actually (even knowing I might not have the room), and the CL listings seem a bit inflated.

Well, I'd say keep the space open, and keep your eyes open. You never know when a good deal might pop up. Watch for the ones that get reposted a few times and then make them an offer.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a couple of things, and it seems like some people have a bit of an overinflated idea of what their used stuff is worth, but after a while the prices seem to come down...

Indeed. There's a Ridgid one for $250, but I've seen some not so pleasant reviews on it. I actually have a list of several different tools I'm looking at or think I need, I might make a new thread to supplant this one. Unless I've already made it, I can't remember.