I've been working on the lathe this week. Recently my brother and I cut out some 40 year old shrubs from my parents home and I kept a couple of the root balls. I wanted to make something from it to give back to them so I made this little potpourri pot.
It's only about 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" . I soaked it in denatured alcohol for a few days then air dried it a few more. The wood is very hard and cracks all over the place. There is no way to cut out a pith because there are piths all over it. I finished it with CA glue in hopes that might help stabilize the wood a little. I think it turned out well and I learned a few things along the way.