strip kayak

Hi all
I see we have a thread about cloth covered kayaks.,so here is one about strip kayaks,
I built this one last year over a period of about 10 months.
It has proved to be a very nice kayak, safe, seaworthy, light (32kg, 70lbs)
and was fun to build,the timber is Paulownia and Kauri (a New Zealand timber)
rudder is carbon fibre ,it has a tiller system and fully adjustable foot rests,
It is skinned with 6oz fibreglass cloth and epoxy resin so making a remarkably strong hull ,I also made two greenland paddles for it. If anyone would like to know more about it please ask.
Cheers
Graham

Attachments

• start stripping.jpg small.jpg
    start stripping.jpg small.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 1 small.JPG
    1 small.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 58
  • rudder small.JPG
    rudder small.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
  • finishedsmall.JPG
    finishedsmall.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 55
  • launch day_0004.jpg
    launch day_0004.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 56
Wow! That's gorgeous, Graham. :clap: I know next to nothing about kayaks, but I know sleek lines and curves when I see them. Thanks for posting the pics.

Ooooooo Graham very very nice Kayak.:thumb:

Welcome to the family.:thumb: Thanks for posting your pics and build.

I love strip builds or either Kayaks or Canoes.

My question is whats next?:)

Ooooooo Graham very very nice Kayak.:thumb:

Welcome to the family.:thumb: Thanks for posting your pics and build.

I love strip builds or either Kayaks or Canoes.

My question is whats next?:)

Hi Rob
Well when you have a grown up family of boys ,you know "thats nice dad ,can you build me one??' so to save a little time i built two stitch and glue singles,One for each family,didn't enjoy making them as much as a stripper but they turned out OK .
I decided to paint them as the ply wood I used was very plain (Popler)
Heres a couple of photos,,thats my grandson paddling
cheers
Graham

Attachments

• S&Gsmall 001.jpg
    S&Gsmall 001.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Tim's kayakcroppedsmall.jpg
    Tim's kayakcroppedsmall.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 32
Amazing craft Graham :thumb: What are the dimensions and is it in kit form?

Hi Jim,
Thanks, it is lovely, It is 6.1 metres long by 600mm wide.
No its not a kit ,one of the biggest jobs in building a stripper is cutting all the strips ,they are 20mm wide x 4mm thick and you need a LOT,after ctting them you have to do what is called a bead and cove on the edges the plans give you a full size template of each station which are mounted on a strongback to hold them all in line, then you start from the centre and work out, most builders staple the strips on and pull out the staples later, but I didnt like all the tiny holes that you have to fill so I did mine without staples ,just used clamps and masking tape to hold them.
Cheers
Graham

Graham,
Great craftsmanship. It looks exactly like the tandem plans I have been looking for. Where did you get your plans? My wife and I love to kayak, so it would be great to tackle this in my shop?
Thanks,
Harvey

Last edited:
Hi Harvey
The plans are from one ocean kayaks, here is the website
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/

Mine is a Cape Ann Double and the other two for my sons are called Cirrus, but they are stitch and glue not strip.
It is a very good website with lot of good info on how to build them.
It was my first attempt at a strip and i didnt find it at all difficult, it was a bit slow, mainly because i went stapleless but that was my choice and it would certainly be a lot quicker with staples,
also you need a lot of room, as it is 6.4 metres long and you need another metre to work around it ,I only had about a foot each end so i kept the door open as much as the weather would let me,
keep in touch if you go ahead, I am happy to answer any questions you might have,
This is a very comfortable boat,but is also suprisingly fast, my daughter in law and I entered it in a river race 25km long and did very well as neither of us had done any racing before, Great fun!! even for a old fart like me.
Cheers
Graham:thumb:

Attachments

• ham part 2_0002.jpg
    ham part 2_0002.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10