3 Jr. Statesman II FP's

Mack Cameron

In Memorium
I've had a few people ask whether I turn fountain pens. Up to now I've had to answer, No, but I can!

Here's proof:
attachment.php

From L to R: Polyresin called Merlin's Magic, plated in Rhodium/Platinum & 22 K Gold; Pau Amorello plated as well in Rhod./Plat. & 22 K Gold; Sugar Maple Burl plated in Rhod./Plat. & Black Titanium.

Hope you like. Comments or questions welcome!

A knock came to my back door as I finished posting these pens on another forum. It was a young couple looking to purchase a fountain pen as a Christmas present.

They bought the pen turned from the Sugar Maple Burl!

Those are nice. I've never made a fountain pen. I didn't realized people still used them! Glad to see that Sugar Maple is pretty. I have a load to cut up. I was going to burn it in the stove.

Well Mack, there is nothing I can say but WOW!.

A challenging question if I may, have you ever tried to turn a pen out of a soft stone like soapstone or alabaster?
Obviously you would need different tools but...

Well Mack, there is nothing I can say but WOW!.

A challenging question if I may, have you ever tried to turn a pen out of a soft stone like soapstone or alabaster?
Obviously you would need different tools but...
Hi Toni; No I never have. I read a little with respect to turning each but have never had the urge yet.

I guess the hardest material I ever turned was that LV you sent to me. As I mentioned in my post about it, it turned like butter! I'm thinking soapstone and/or alabster would be the same. Turn with carbide tools, no problem!

Another great batch of pens, Mack. :clap: Man, that maple burl pen didn't collect much dust before it sold, huh? :thumb:

Rob, soapstone and alabaster can also be cut with HSS tools. It's a dusty mess with any tools, but it can be done.