Thread: HF 3

HF 3

Well this was fun! After a visit with Vaughn earlier in the week, I felt ready to tackle the Four Winds, the Mighty Sea...the Tallest of Mountains!!
    Yeah...right. So instead I did this. The blank had been sitting around for several years and I had a shape drawn on it...somewhat like this. Spalted curly maple about 6"x3.5" with a 1.25" base. Sanded to 800, 4 coats of Mylands then 2 coats of Renwax applied with 4-0 steel wool. Walls are 1/4" except for the bottom 1 1/2" for ballast. C&C really needed .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vase 1.jpg   vase 2.jpg   vase 3.jpg  
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Very nice Jim. I like the form. Looks real smooth on the inside as well.

Tom
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

I really like it. Someday I will get brave enough to try one. That's a great piece of wood and I like the shape you chose.
    "We the People ......"

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Jim nice looking piece. For your 3rd HF it don't get much better. Now the only thing i see that you might do differently, is maybe giving it a smaller opening at the top.Keep up the great work and looking foward to #4.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Jim nice looking piece. For your 3rd HF it don't get much better. Now the only thing i see that you might do differently, is maybe giving it a smaller opening at the top.Keep up the great work and looking foward to #4.
    Steve
    Steve, you would not believe the stupid stunt I pulled to start the opening...I don't want to talk about it...but trust me...it was stupid
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Steve, you would not believe the stupid stunt I pulled to start the opening...I don't want to talk about it...but trust me...it was stupid
    Jim been there done that to many times.

Yeah, buddy! I told you you'd get the hang of it pretty quickly. The tall pieces like that can be tough to get a good smooth form on, especially the gradual curve from the shoulder to the foot, but I think you did a great job.

My only critique would be to ease (radius) the corners of the base a little where it meets the table. That helps add "lift" to the look and keeps it from appearing to be planted on the table.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow! you sure are learning fast.