****WARNING****Graphic****Pics of injury

Dom DiCara

Brent and the other Mods decided that since the pictures below are not gory, they may serve as a reminder to all about shop safety. I list these here not for shock value as much as a lesson as to what can happen in a split second to anyone of us.

and now ...be careful out there!

Attachments

• DSCN3692.jpg
    DSCN3692.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN3695.jpg
    DSCN3695.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN3699.jpg
    DSCN3699.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN3700.jpg
    DSCN3700.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 119
  • RSCN3701.jpg
    RSCN3701.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I have told my wife that before the grandkids get old enough to work in the shop with me, there will be a sawstop being used. I don't want the debate on teaching safety and the like, I don't want to see one of my grandkids get cut/hurt bad when I could have prevented it by spending a few more dollars on safety. Dom, it really looks like your fingers are coming along good. Good color, ends are rolled nicely, your docs did good. I am so sorry for your loss and pain. I do appreciate you posting these, they will be discussed Tuesday when I get back to school. Hope you are feeling better, if you are on pain meds, be careful in the shop.

I have told my wife that before the grandkids get old enough to work in the shop with me, there will be a sawstop being used. I don't want the debate on teaching safety and the like, I don't want to see one of my grandkids get cut/hurt bad when I could have prevented it by spending a few more dollars on safety. Dom, it really looks like your fingers are coming along good. Good color, ends are rolled nicely, your docs did good. I am so sorry for your loss and pain. I do appreciate you posting these, they will be discussed Tuesday when I get back to school. Hope you are feeling better, if you are on pain meds, be careful in the shop.

Good point Jonathan....show this to the kids....if that does not give them respect for the machines...then nothing will and they should find new lines of endevour

Thanks for the pictures Dom. Its real good reinforcement.

I know it is hind sight Dom and I am glad that you are not hurt worse, but it just rienforces the reasons to get a saw stop. Acidents happen all to fast and without warning.

Drew thats exactly what i was thinking. No one can say it cannot happen to them. Whats those tips worth in $$$.

Ouch! This may sound strange, but I am going to print one of these off and tack it above my table saw.

Me too.

Jonathan the only other side of the coin here is we dont want to scare the heck out of the kids such that they rather just adopt an entirely risk averse approach to the shop and avoid it all together.

There is no reward in a life risk free. I have done some crazy things in my life, have scars to show for it and am still kicking. Was also left entirely alone with my Dads all in one combo machine when i was 12 and never got myself cut. (thats bandsaw, planer, lathe, jointer, table saw all in one)

Fear is a healthy safety device.

There is nothing I can add to what has been said, I' sorry for you accident and I appreciate you wanting to show us. An image is worth a thousand words.
This has awakened many of us that were dozing off about safety. It is a pity that to awake people it had to happen.

Just wondering if you're going to be needing in the shop. I hear you're a little "short handed". :rofl:

Sorry. I couldn't resist. Seriously though, I hope you feel better soon. It is a good reminder of what could happen every time we turn our saws on.

Just wondering if you're going to be needing in the shop. I hear you're a little "short handed". :rofl:

Sorry. I couldn't resist. Seriously though, I hope you feel better soon. It is a good reminder of what could happen every time we turn our saws on.

One of my neighbors called me to check in and told me that she was going to send over "finger sandwiches" but thought better and sent a fruit basket.

I rolled on the floor laughing!

I think I am going to have to show these pictures to my wife, she wonders why I stop what I am doing and turn off the machine I am on when she come into the shop to ask me something.

Sharon does a really good job of waiting until the machines are off before she comes into the shop. Also, she whistles a little tune just so she doesn't startle me. :thumb:

Just saw the thread Dom And glad your ok. I think about things like this happening to me every day since I work in a cabinet shop and work on the tablesaw. I've had to pick up too many of other peoples fingers since I've been in this profession. One guy didn't have anything left to pick up since he was using a dado blade!

If you don't mind could you explain in a little more detail what you were doing and what you did that let this happen so that other people can benefit from your misfortune.

Dom, thanks for the update and glad to see that you are healing quickly. As others have stated its time for a saw stop in my shop if I keep using my table saw. I can't see saving a few dollars ever being equal to what you went through. I worked with a fellow who lost most of the fingers by trying to cut the wood by pulling it through - the wood caught and pulled his hand in cutting off parts of all 4 fingers.

I think I am going to have to show these pictures to my wife, she wonders why I stop what I am doing and turn off the machine I am on when she come into the shop to ask me something.

I do also. Myrna comes into the shop and just stands there until I acknowledge her, kill machinery, etc.

I like my fingers.

Dom,

I am so sorry. I know that does not even begin to say it but what else can I say?

I am always careful in the shop. However, if you remember, a few months ago I posted about being hit by a kick back. It is that one nanosecond that gets you...or at least it did me.

I was lucky. All I got out of it was a cut on the base of my thumb from flying piece either before or after the wood hit me in the chest. Thumb cured like most other cuts, chest hurt for a few weeks.

I have yet to find the piece of wood that clobbered me.

All of the preceeding was just another note to maybe help someone keep thinking and not have a nanosecond moment of their own.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Just saw the thread Dom And glad your ok. I think about things like this happening to me every day since I work in a cabinet shop and work on the tablesaw. I've had to pick up too many of other peoples fingers since I've been in this profession. One guy didn't have anything left to pick up since he was using a dado blade!

If you don't mind could you explain in a little more detail what you were doing and what you did that let this happen so that other people can benefit from your misfortune.

Alan, I was making an unsafe cut with a small board with the guard lifted up. Stupid. It kicked back before the board got to the anti-kickback claws and it pulled my hand in to the front of the blade and wedged it between the blade and the table insert. That is why the Surgeon could not re-attach them because they were ripped off, instead of cut cleanly off.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Use of the 8 different feather boards I have probably would have stopped this from happening, or just better concentration on my part.

By the way......Have I told you how Stupid this was?

Well Dom I do appreciate you posting this because it's a reminder of what can happen in a split second. It's threads like this that will get me to review how I cut on the tablesaw and to remind me to not get to comfortable doing it.

I have my own homemade push sticks Ive made.
I just bought a safety set from woodcraft,the orange push pads and push stick. I used the stick once, and sliced a chunk out of it, so IM back to my wood push stick.anything small gets the sticks.

Holy smoley Don. Read up on your posts and man that is bad. I hope you recover as best and as fast as possible.

As horrible your experience and pictures are thanks for sharing so we can keep learning and remembering to be safe.

Take care.