Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a few more turnings

a few more turnings

Like I was saying in Toni's post I started cleaning up my shop and finding some more projects that I had wanted to do. I had built some cheap drawers a few years back for another project that changed direction in mid stride and I knew one day that I would make some use of them so I put them away and forgot about them. So while cleaning the shop I found them and decided to put them to use. I dug up some MDF and assembled one of the many shop organization projects that i have been wanting to do. This time it was the lathe. I still have two more drawers to build tomorrow.

While i was at it and thinking of it I took some pics of some of the projects that I have been working on this past week. One is of a yellow cedar burl with a rough natural edge ( if that is how it is said) one bowl and potporii is of chestnut. The little stand is of Arbutus ( madrona) and the little top is of Cherry wood. I was just getting back to turning and was having some difficulty with the grinder and angles till Stu gave me a hand with one of his many tutorial videos and a quick PM. Thanks again Stu that jig worked great.

What a great family that we have here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misc 146.JPG   Misc 147.JPG   Misc 159.JPG   Misc 156.JPG   Misc 149.JPG  

Misc 154.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Cute little turned pieces Drew.

Good stuff, Drew. I especially like the little NE burl bowl.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks. They were fun to turn. It was the first burl I have ever tried. A bit trickey to get the tools in and not take a knucle off, but it was fun I shut it down early as some of my past attempts at interior hollowing have ended in disaster as I have always pushed the envelope on what I am comfortable doing. I wanted to keep this one though. I didn't put a finish on it as i love the smell of the cedar.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Drew nice work. I like that burl and the bowl a bunch.

Nice Drew !!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Nice work Drew!

I'm glad the article by Kirk De Heer about sharpening helped you out, I use the system all the time and boy does it work!

Link to the PDF article >> here <<

I have permission from the author to distribute this article freely!

I also made a YouTube video about it >> HERE <<

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very well thought out your lathe area Drew. I like the draws and access to the tools.

The natural edge bowl is absolutely awsome and the platter one almost looks like marble. Very Very nice. I like the color of those woods. You sure churning them out now.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Very well thought out your lathe area Drew. I like the draws and access to the tools.
    I had been thinking about this lots Rob. That space has always been a problem with the wood chips collecting as has the space on the wall behind the lathe ( shelves suck wood chips ) . I would have liked to build an entire cabinet with more drawers and a space to mount a DC hose but then I would have to store the stand somewhere. This was the compromise. I am still trying to figure a way to get the DC attached. All Idea are appreciated.

Those look like fun Drew! Don't ya love finding stuff in a corner?!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 11-09-2010 at 03:50 AM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots