Turning with bark

I've turned a couple piece of bark-edged walnut that had moss on them when the wood was green, but by the time the rough-turned bowl had been dried and the finish turning done. the moss had pretty much dried up and disappeared. There's no real reason (as far as I know) to take it off, but in my limited experience, it's not easy to get it to stay.

I like leaving the bark on but if it does not stay and I can not glue it back and make it look right - off it comes. I then sand the edge and it still looks great with a wavy edge to it.................

I am generally not successful in getting the bark to stay on either... Like Dan, I'll leave the natural edge of the bowl without the bark and that seems to be accepted well by the customers.... I often will turn a piece that has bark on the sides of the bowl or turning... I have more luck leaving that in place.

Attachments

• 10-1150_2a.JPG
    10-1150_2a.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 4
Here is the first a yellow cedar burl bowl that I left the bark on. I have done nothing to it but turn it and the bark seems to be holding ok. i did loose a small bit from the upper rim but it still looks ok. I just buffed it out and have left it alone for a few weeks now. It gives an interesting look to the bowl. I am looking to get some more to try in the new year.

Attachments

• Project pics 001 - Copy.JPG
    Project pics 001 - Copy.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Project pics 002 - Copy.JPG
    Project pics 002 - Copy.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 12