Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spice Rack

Spice Rack

This is a small project,but with some work that I have never tried before. There are some other projects that I would like to do that use this same type of joinery.....so thought I would try it out on somthing small first. I do not have a mortice machine,but would still like to try this. I made a sample of what the joint is supposed to look like to see if I could do it OK.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Through Mortice & tendon with wedge.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	51039 A through mortice & tendon with wedge.
    It went OK but it would be much better with the MM . Just dont know If I want to tie up $300.00 in one or not. But I guess I could find a lot of other projects to put it to use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joint on spice rack.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	51040 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spice Rack.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	51041
    Do a lot of you guys have a Benchtop Mortice Machine? Or do you just drill & chisel as I did on this project.
    Thanks for any coments on to buy or not to buy!
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

Looks pretty good to me Ron

I have the Delta mortiser. I don't use it on every project but the ones I use it on make me happy that I spent the money for it. I found mine on CL. Brand new in the box for way less than 1/2 price.

It's definitely one of the handiest tools I own.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I bought the HF model, when it was on sale and I had a 20% off coupon and got out the door for $99. I don't use it often but it's great when you need it.

I know some don't take a second look at HF power tools but I've never had anything but good luck with them.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I like the wedged tenon detail. Doesn't look like you had any problems with cutting the mortises to me!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I To have the HF machine. Once I sharpened the chisels it is a great machine.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Another HF owner here.

Thats a pretty neat spice rack! As for a mortiser I've always wanted to get one but haven't had the need for it yet. The only mortises I've ever cut have been by hand and was on a workbench I made from free 4" x4" oak timbers I had When I was still living in Maryland.

I like the wedged tenon detail as well. nicely done

Thanks Guys for the coments. I will check out HF to see what they have. Can you buy any chisel/drill set or do you have to buy the one made for that machine? Deffinatley worth checking out,Thanks again.
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ron, The unit come with three drill/chisels 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" Do get a sharpening tool, I got mine from Woodcraft
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward