Spice Rack

Ron Roase

This is a small project,but with some work that I have never tried before. There are some other projects that I would like to do that use this same type of joinery.....so thought I would try it out on somthing small first. I do not have a mortice machine,but would still like to try this. I made a sample of what the joint is supposed to look like to see if I could do it OK.
Through Mortice & tendon with wedge.JPG A through mortice & tendon with wedge.
It went OK but it would be much better with the MM . Just dont know If I want to tie up $300.00 in one or not. :dunno: But I guess I could find a lot of other projects to put it to use.
Joint on spice rack.JPG Spice Rack.JPG
Do a lot of you guys have a Benchtop Mortice Machine? Or do you just drill & chisel as I did on this project.
Thanks for any coments on to buy or not to buy! :D:thumb::rofl:

Looks pretty good to me Ron :thumb::thumb:

I have the Delta mortiser. I don't use it on every project but the ones I use it on make me happy that I spent the money for it. I found mine on CL. Brand new in the box for way less than 1/2 price.

It's definitely one of the handiest tools I own.

I bought the HF model, when it was on sale and I had a 20% off coupon and got out the door for $99. I don't use it often but it's great when you need it.

I know some don't take a second look at HF power tools but I've never had anything but good luck with them. :thumb:

I like the wedged tenon detail. Doesn't look like you had any problems with cutting the mortises to me! :thumb:

Thats a pretty neat spice rack!:thumb: As for a mortiser I've always wanted to get one but haven't had the need for it yet. The only mortises I've ever cut have been by hand and was on a workbench I made from free 4" x4" oak timbers I had When I was still living in Maryland.

Thanks Guys for the coments. I will check out HF to see what they have. Can you buy any chisel/drill set or do you have to buy the one made for that machine? Deffinatley worth checking out,Thanks again.:thumb: