Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entertainment Equipment Closet

Entertainment Equipment Closet

My wife has been wanting to "hide" all the entertainment equipment in the living room. We've got a little closet that has the access to our crawl space on this house that is next to the TV. I didn't want to have to move the equipment every time that I needed into the crawl space, so I've came up with this solution, which I think will work well.

This should work pretty well, I can duck down and behind the shelves to see all the connections on the back side of the equipment for connecting wires. We've got an IR repeater to be able to close the door and not see the equipment.

There is also a raised panel enclosure on the ceiling (see above the door in pic #2) that houses some duct work and will give me access to run speaker wires around the room out of sight.

More pics to follow...have some electrical plugs to install before I can move the equipment that is below the tv.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101101_202816.jpg   IMG_20101107_234141.jpg   IMG_20101107_234122.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That should be just the ticket. Will the DVD player be located in the closet as well?

I will warn you however with a name like "Entertainment Equipment Closet" I really figured a large walk in closet was being used

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Will the DVD player be located in the closet as well?
    Yup, DVR, DVD, A/V Receiver, Karaoke Machine, Wii, and Xbox all have a spot on the shelves. I have a power conditioner that I run the TV and all the equipment off of that will be in there as well.

We used to have 5 - 6 remotes and a list of what to use and when for turning stuff on and off. My wife hated it and so did I being that I had to go do tech support every time she wanted to watch a movie or something. We finally got one of those Logitech Harmony remotes that you program using the computer...the thing is awesome. It turns on what needs to be on and everything else off based on the activity you choose. Even has a help button when something isn't working. She just pushes it and it asks questions and figures out what needs to be turned on/off or what connection the TV needs to be switched to...no more support calls for me.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That will work Darren I am trying to find an area to do the same thing. I am going to look up the Logitech Harmony remote and see just what that is cause it just sounds KOOL Be sure to show the final set up

I've got an older one (#520 I think) that I paid something like $89 for a walmart, doesn't have the color screen, but haven't had a piece of equipment that it doesn't work with yet. I definitely recommend them though, very easy to setup and manage. I've been eyeballing the touch screen one, just haven't see the need as the one I have does the job.

Only complaint if I have to give one would be the initial start of the TV, for some reason it takes about 10 seconds or so to finally send the final commands to the TV before you can actually use the remote, but other than that...not one complaint.
    Darren

Pretty neat solution
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Good Solution. I'd be installing a light in there too so it would be easier to see the back of the equipment.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Very good idea. I should look into one of those remotes once I get our media alcove built. One of the goals is not to have to look at all the pieces of gear. And Sharon hates having a ton of remotes laying around.

Here is the IR Repeater setup I bought. Will give a review on it as soon I get a chance to use it. Some IR Repeaters don't work well with plasma tv's so not sure how it's going to work out if it's overly sensitive. This one also uses an IR blaster instead of individual repeaters that stick on to each piece of equipment. The blaster sets back a few inches and just re-flashes the same signals the remote does.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFAQ8wIwBA#

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I'd be installing a light in there too so it would be easier to see the back of the equipment.
    Yup, buying some of those hocky puck lights and putting one in front and one in the back to be able to see in there.
    Darren

My son is working on the same project.
    He is installing a flat screen on the wall downstairs, in his basement, oh, excuse me, his entertainment room, and there is a small closet under the stairs, and he is wiring everything up through the wall, moving electric lines, installing new sheetrock, all so he can hide all the electronic equimpment and lines in the closet.