Thread: Removing Water Stains with Oxalic Acid???

Removing Water Stains with Oxalic Acid???

My brother has a project where a client had some bay windows and skylights that were never finished. Problem is now they are stained from water. He asked me if Oxalic Acid would remove the stains. I told him that I thought it would, but I wondered if it would not whiten the wood so much that he would have to apply some stain so that the wood would resemble it's natural state. His clients are wanting a natural look with a clear finish. He does not know what type of wood it is.

Will Oxalic Acid work for removing the stains and can he finish with clear finish right after or should he count on some stain to duplicate the wood tone before finishing?

Bill

I had success with denatured alcohol and then diluted bleach. Went back over it with the stain and then finish. Worked on rust damage to some very old wooden window sills.

Hope this helps

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Bill.
    I tried to use it on the dove that Toni carved for me and it didn't have any effect on the color of the bass wood. The container say that it gently lightens the color of unfinished wood. I hope this helps.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks Don & Dom. Ok, that was funny when said real quick.

Sorry, I got off track there. I found a link to a great article by Jeff Jewitt on wood bleaches. In it he answers my question whether Oxalic Acid would affect the natural wood color.

http://www.antiquerestorers.com/Arti...ood_bleach.htm

The only way I know of removing water stained areas on wood from condensation, rain and poor flashing methods is with Wood bleach 2 part.

For water soluble stains you would want to use Alcohol and synthetic steel wools and rags to soak up the alcohol that has emulsified the water stain.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Dave the wood bleach part 2 is the Hydrogen peroxide ??
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

don not part 2 i said 2 part i guess i need to be more clear for you.
    2 park wood bleach, you have part 1 and part 2
    that you need to mix together in order for it to work.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

The 2 part I use will turn it pure white, I don't think that what he is after.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    The 2 part I use will turn it pure white, I don't think that what he is after.
    It may be that my brother won't have a choice, Don. First priority will be to remove the water stain without bleaching out the wood tone, but he may just have to do that to get it out. He will just have to stain the wood to match a natural appearance.

Thanks Dave, I am sure my brother will find out that you are correct, a 2 part bleach will be needed. He will probably try the Oxalic Acid first and then move on from there. Even though it was not my problem, I have learned something.