Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Tokyo

Hello from Tokyo

Dear All,

I just joined Family Woodworking and would like to introduce myself. I have been living in Asia most of my adult life. I first came to Japan in 1972 and have been here most of the time since.

I have always been interested in the beauty of wood. At Craft fairs I always wind up buying something, not because I need it, but because of its inherent beauty. The problem, living in Tokyo, is having the space to pursue a wood oriented hobby.

In 2003 or so, I had a weekend house on a small river on the coast of Japan. It had a garage. So, I took the plunge and bought a lathe. I also bought a used drill press that I found in a recycle shop. I was a happy camper when until 2008 when the building was torn down (I had moved the shop to Tokyo in 2004). For the last three years I have not done anything. Now, I am getting a woodshop again and so I can resume my hobby of making very expensive toothpicks. Maybe with this forum's help I can make some other things as well.

Best wishes,

Kyle

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    He Kyle, welcome we have another woodworker from Tokyo. His name is Stu Ablett and he has his woodworking shop in a space below the building he lives in. He call it the Dungen. He also is a turner among other things. Do a search on his name here and you will see a lot of info on him.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Welcome Kyle....There is a great bunch of people here.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Oh one more thing Kyle, we like pictures, as a matter of fact if there are no pictures then what ever you posted about didn't happen.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Welcome Kyle, and I guess I'll be the first to say...we like lots of pics (the pic police say, no pics, didn't happen)

I think you will like it here. Definitely get a hold of Stu

Kyle and I have gotten together, I recommended to him that he join up here

Welcome to the Family Kyle!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Welcome, glad to see you.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Welcome
    from up North
    well a little bit up North

Welcome Kyle!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Welcome Kyle! Good to know we have someone over there to keep an eye on Stu for us. Glad you joined up. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Tom
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!