Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop First Aid Kit link with video instructions

GTA Ontario Canada

Shop First Aid Kit link with video instructions

Hi All

Given Doms current post on his accident. For all those wondering about what to do for a shop first aid kit see this video.

The guy is probably a doctor or paramedic because he mentions what he has seen in the emergency room. This is specific to our needs.

Here is the You tube version but if you go to his site he even has a download list of contents and sign in pdf form.

So now all you gotta do is get it together.

Here is the container he used available at Home Depot USA if you want to make the exact same kit.

Well worth taking a look at the video. Some good tips some well you decide.

Just an aside rant, i have no understanding why HD USA can sell this storage kit for $16.97 US and here in Canada with the Loonie nearly being 1:1 we have to look at paying $29 Canadian. See what i mean about getting gouged up here and thats without the 13% HST tax. I dont have a problem with the tax but man if it was $20 i could still understand.

new york city burbs
    some tidbits Ill throw in-
    IF you are going to put any drugs into your first aid kit, either leave them in the original container or label them carefully so if someone else takes them, they know what they are swallowing.
    Also, put an expiration date on any drug you transfer into another container because drugs get real old real fast, and thinking over the counter medications cant really harm you, well, thats foolish thinking.

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    The you-tube url should be seen by all woodworkers and their families. If you don't look, I will think you are crazy.

I used to volunteer teach First Aid for the American Red Cross. They always assigned the teen-age girls (usually scout stuff) to me...No one else had guts enough to do it. You could hear us for blocks---yelling---screaming---laughing and learning.

They also gave me all of the nurses because I have a Dr. in front of my name. However, it was for the same reason...No one else had the guts to do it. I think they feared that the nurses knew more than they did.

The URL is excellent. I would add: Make the First Aid Kit so it will fall off of the shelf if you want it and you are on the floor. You could use a cord tied to the handle and let it hang down. You could mount the kit on a door of your "base cabinet" instead of the above the counter cabinet.

Eye cups are quite low on my list. Eye cups wash all of the germs from your lids, lashes and probably some from your hands into the cul-de-sacs between the eye globe and the lids (that is a nice warm place for the little critters to multiply).

Irrigation is vastly superior. I don't know about Canada, however, Sav-On and similar have a pack of two large, totally sealed, bottles of saline solution for about six bucks. The lid is loose. When you screw it down to tighten, it punctures the saline bottle creating an opening. Then you can squeeze the bottle and the saline squirts or dribbles out depending on how hard you squeeze.

Watch the url.

Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 11-09-2010 at 04:34 AM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Thanks Rob, that's very useful. I'd like to add one thing. One of the most common bad injuries would be a bleeding injury. Some simple 100% cotton dish towels washed in hot water and ironed are just about sterile. I would add 2 or 3 or those folded up in a cupboard if they don't fit in your first aid box. A few sterile gauze pads don't help if you're bleeding profusely.

AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Santa Claus, In
    Great video Rob, something we all should think more about.

(Shout out for the Dura-coat. Great product. Although not WWing related)

GTA Ontario Canada
    I think more than think about we should have a thread where we show each other our first aid kits to make sure we get one sorted out.

Thats even worth a prize for the best contribution to safety. Hey mods we got any prizes for a contest like this.

This should be a non negotiable item in the shop.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    As dad mentioned the first aid kit location in the video is very poor. I can think of a few things that might happen that would make me unable to reach way up over my head to get at it. Mine is actually on the floor. the top is tight enough for safety but loose enough to be removed with one trembling hand. It is a $1 rubber-maid-like shoe box sized container.

My phone is also located quite low and near the exit to outdoors per an article by folks who know about such things. The logic there is similar to the first aid kit location. Low enough to reach in case I've . . . . wait for it . . . "fallen and I can't get up" . It is by the door for that last speed dial call to 911 as I exit the burning building (long handset cord too). The low and easily accessible locations serve other scenarios but, you get the idea.

Easily accessible and in non-changing and known locations:
    - first aid kit
    - phone
    - fire extinguishers

Be safe, be diligent, don't be a hack and don't procrastinate. If you have not covered these things, do so now, please .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-09-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    This is a good post Rob, lots of good common sense. So Far (and I knocking on wood as I post this) I've only need an occasional band-aid from my meager little first-aid kit. One thing that wasn't listed as a neccessity in the first air kit... your brains. Most of us are guilty of sometimes turning them off and not applying what we know about safety. Most of the time when I've gotten dinged in the shop and again knocking on wood, it's only been dings to date... it's because I either don't pay close enough attention or I think I can be superman and do things I really can't. My last ding was my thumb.. I had a square of wood tht I was drilling to make one of my wine stands... I thought I could just hold it with my left hand while I pulled the drill press down with a 1 3/8's forstner bit and punch a hole in a piece of glued up wood... maple and a couple of South American hard woods... I know beyond a shadow of doubt that I don't have that much strength in my hand and when the bit caught the wood and spun it, my thumb took the hit and for about a second I thought I had torn the nail off... only dinged the side of the nail, but sure hurt like the dickens... include our brains in the first aid kit.

On your rant about pricing.... my wife is diabetic and takes insulin plus another drug to keep her blood sugar in line... because of the number of and extent of her medications, she is now in the "doughnut" hole until the new year starts... we're covered for the insulin, but the pill she needs will be over $140 per month in the U.S... she's found an online pharmacy in Canada for the same drug for $40 per month... we haven't ordered yet, as she has to talk to her doctor next week and see if it's viable, but that's a big difference in pricing for the same drug.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    I think more than think about we should have a thread where we show each other our first aid kits to make sure we get one sorted out.

Thats even worth a prize for the best contribution to safety. Hey mods we got any prizes for a contest like this.

This should be a non negotiable item in the shop.
    I agree. Safety is just another procedure in our shops. Just like the way we do joints, sanding,finishing,etc. Would be a great idea to share what we do in the shop to help safety

Poway, CA, near San Diego
    Hi folks,
    I remember an article in a magazine years ago about shop safety. I remember two items. One, find out the name of the best hand surgeon in your area and keep their phone number in your wallet. Two, Install a phone in your shop near floor level. You might need to crawl to it if you're injured enough. Now days with cell phones on all our belts, that might not be necessary. Not pleasant to think about, but good advice anyway.

Be safe,