dust collector bags...

Chuck Ellis

There was a thread here about dust collector bags, but I don't remember which forum we were in and can't find it now.... but I needed a new bag for my harbor freight DC and several posted suggestions of where to get them.... I think I had some of the sites saved to my favorites, but the computer has crashed and been re-install since then and I've lost a bunch of favorites.

There's a critter that's decided to make his/her nest in my DC shed and that the new bag was the perfect material to line his/her nest with.... my new bag has been shredded for nesting material... :eek::eek:

Can you repost the sites for the new bag...

Definatly the canister is way better than a bag system. Esay to clean and lets far less dust particls through. :thumb::thumb:

Funny, I got tired of diminished performance from a clogged filter, and converted back to a bag.

I got a custom bag from American Fabric Filter Co., and the performance has been far, far better than with the cartridge.

Chuck, if you were closer, I'd give you the cartridge. It's just wasting space on a shelf for me.

Funny, I got tired of diminished performance from a clogged filter, and converted back to a bag.

I got a custom bag from American Fabric Filter Co., and the performance has been far, far better than with the cartridge.

Chuck, if you were closer, I'd give you the cartridge. It's just wasting space on a shelf for me.

Interesting. Is it one of those 'felt' feeling bags? I bought mine so long ago I can't remember it's filtration capacity, but I think it was pretty 'small/fine'. I was always impressed with how it was able to not blow up as firmly as the old cloth bags, even with it's improved filtering capacity.

Interesting. Is it one of those 'felt' feeling bags? I bought mine so long ago I can't remember it's filtration capacity, but I think it was pretty 'small/fine'. I was always impressed with how it was able to not blow up as firmly as the old cloth bags, even with it's improved filtering capacity.

Yeah, it's a 'felted fabric, rated at one micron. My bag is 30" diameter, and 72" high (just fits under my 10 foo ceiling) and it inflates, but, like you said, not nearly as firmly as the old cloth bags.

Cleaning, such as it is, is easy - just smack it with a stick as the DC is winding down. Essentially, it's maintenance free.

BTW, the custom bag cost me about $170, delivered, about four years ago.

I'm pretty sure mine is the 1 micron as well, but I must have bought it probably more than 6 or 7 years ago. It's not any higher than the standard Delta bag, but it really seems to work a lot better.

Guess I'll cross the canister off my wish list... (That'll make Sharon happy). :thumb:

Sorry that you have had problems with yours Jim. If I was closer I would jump at that offer. My system comes with the cleaning pulls that allow me to pull a bar with a broom like material up and down the inside of the filter to clean off the trapped dust inside the pleats. I know that some of the canister ones have a bar that spins around to do this and i don't know how that works. I also use an air hose between pulls to blow smaller particls back into the catch bag and once in awhile I take the entire canister off and blow it right out to get the ultra small particals ( I do that outside away from the house while wearing a good dust mask) I have had no complaints about how it works since i bought it. The good thing about the canister type is the surface area. With all the pleats in the material it give more surface area of filter than the bags do.

My bag was one of those "felt" like bags and was working very well, until the critter needed it to insulate and pad his nest.... I've taken his nest to the burn pile and put moth balls in the DC shed... hopefully he'll find them offensive enough to find another place for the winter. I don't think I got mine from American Fabric... just can't remember where and can't find the invoice - yet... I need the standard height for the HF collector... I think it's about 20-22 inche diameter and about 30 inches... not enough room in the shed for anything taller. The two bag system is about 6' or so total height.

Doesn't big bag mean more room needed for the bigger bag? :dunno:

Yep! Mine adds about three feet to the overall height of the DC. I also had them make it larger in diameter, with a 'funnel down' to the proper diameter to fit the DC's flange.

You could always use a smaller, 'standard' sized bag, though.

Yea Height was my restriction as the only place to put it was at the front by the garage doors and though I have 10 ft ceilings the height of the garage door is around 8 ft. The motor sticks up beside the door track by about 18 inches. The filter sides beside the machine facing down. If the cyclone is working right only the smallest of particulates get through to the filter. In the 4 years I have had it I have only had to empty the catch bag a few times and most of that was duer to me not paying attention to how full the collector was. Once full it only has one place left to go and that is through the filter. I have thought about getting a sensor to deal with that, or just pay more attention to the machine. Since I picked up the lathe I have been filling the collector more frequently. A whole lot more frequently. :eek: