Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut and Ash

Walnut and Ash

Just thought it interesting to throw out photos of walnut and ash as compared to ash and walnut. Both have chrome pulls. They are on MY desk drawers and that is why the pulls are off TDC a wee bit. There is a real difference between the drawer fronts yet they have the same materials and pattern.
    Learning what we like takes time, but can be found through experimentation and open minded guidance. BLAH BLAH BLAH
    Shaz
    Attachment 4668

Attachment 4669
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Well Shaz....I like Ash no matter how you use it.....but you knew I was gonna say that.

My own preference, I like the one that is mostly Ash....but either one is very nice work.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Those are some really cool files. I like the contrast between the wood. I assume you cut both panels at the same time?

As to being a little off TDC, wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all lined up???

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    Well Shaz....I like Ash no matter how you use it.....but you knew I was gonna say that.

My own preference, I like the one that is mostly Ash....but either one is very nice work.
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks very much. I to like ash, has that memorable smell and that awsome grain. You should see it take analine dye< whoaaaaaaaa get bacK!!!!!!!!
    Oh, really like your round wooden logo.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Those are some really cool files. I like the contrast between the wood. I assume you cut both panels at the same time? Yes ,Ed absolutely correct,two pieces of sized plywood, masking taped together then band sawed= two equal but opposite patterned panels, oh well my secret is out.hmmmmm

As to being a little off TDC, wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all lined up???
    Hi Ed,
    Amen Brother. TDC is off to me...
    Shaz
    Here is how

Shaz, those drawers are very reminiscent of some paper towel holders I've made. Sick minds must think alike. These pics were taken a few months after the holder was put into use, so it's a bit dirty and the photography isn't great:

Attachment 4673 Attachment 4672

I failed to get pictures of the "negative" version of this one, but I made the two at the same time...one for Sis and one for Mom. This is oak and jatoba, with a maple accent stripe between the two woods. The top piece is held on with rare earth magnets.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

[quote=Vaughn McMillan;22921]Shaz, those drawers are very reminiscent of some paper towel holders I've made. Sick minds must think alike. YES Yes my blonde haired friend. These pics were taken a few months after the holder was put into use, so it's a bit dirty and the photography isn't great:

Attachment 4673 Attachment 4672

I failed to get pictures of the "negative" version of this one, but I made the two at the same time...one for Sis and one for Mom. We do think alike in that the best gifts are for our loved ones. This is oak and jatoba,they work real well I think, with a maple accent stripe between the two woods. The top piece is held on with rare earth magnets. How does that work?[/quote]

Hi Vaughn,
    Thanks for the interjection of the similar but different. I am glad to see these photos, your design is right on!
    Tell me about these rare earth "gotta be California " magnets..
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    ...The top piece is held on with rare earth magnets. How does that work?...
    I countersunk magnets in the little steel cups on one surface, and stacks of washers on the other. (It was about 10 washers per stack as I recall...needed the steel mass to get enough grip.) Here's a pic from an earlier version that didn't have the wave running through the top and bottom. The maple accent stripe shows up a bit better on this one, though.

Attachment 4706

You can see there were two magnets to hold the edge of the top, and one where the top meets the towel rod. It worked out pretty well. You can lift the whole thing by the top and shake it gently without pulling off the top, but if you grab the edge and twist a bit the top comes off pretty easily.

I really have a thing for curves like this in flatwork.

Attachment 4707

Now that I've thoroughly hijacked this thread, I'll move along...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey Vaughn so are some reall... oops sorry Shaz I was about to comment on Vaughn's hijackin hijinxs. Great pieces of work all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I countersunk magnets in the little steel cups on one surface, and stacks of washers on the other. (It was about 10 washers per stack as I recall...needed the steel mass to get enough grip.) Here's a pic from an earlier version that didn't have the wave running through the top and bottom. The maple accent stripe shows up a bit better on this one, though.Thanks for sharing that. It solves problems and seems to work. Where are these magnets and the nice finished cap you use. Maple stripe is a nice addition.

Attachment 4706

You can see there were two magnets to hold the edge of the top, and one where the top meets the towel rod. It worked out pretty well. You can lift the whole thing by the top and shake it gently without pulling off the top, but if you grab the edge and twist a bit the top comes off pretty easily.

I really have a thing for curves like this in flatwork. Yeah, me too.

Attachment 4707

Now that I've thoroughly hijacked this thread, I'll move along...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Reid View Post
    Hey Vaughn so are some reall... oops sorry Shaz I was about to comment on Vaughn's hijackin hijinxs. Great pieces of work all.
    Hi vaughn and Alex.
    I appreciate your concern about hijacking and in reality it is probably a thought to keep in mind but not with me, maybe someone else. I enjoy the interaction in whatever way it goes, and find the input stimulating. However, thanks for your consideration, and the valuable input...Hijack this
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how