Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dovetails

dovetails

So it's been several months since I made any dovetails, and I decided to make a box or few, as I have a friend with a 50th birthday coming up - no worries he doesn't read this.

It is awful how awful I've gotten. Seems like I'm starting all over again. Like the musician said when asked how to get to Carnegie Hall "practice practice practice"

No pics. Too ashamed.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post

No pics. Too ashamed.
    Besides, No Pics, didn't happen
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Dove tails - help a dove stay in flight.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Dove tails - help a dove stay in flight.
    Drew, I don't think you're getting enough sleep.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

You are right, they are not like riding a bike that once you learn you never forget.

One loose the knack of them very soon. That reminds me that I've got to start cutting dovetails again.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    You are right, they are not like riding a bike that once you learn you never forget.

One loose the knack of them very soon. That reminds me that I've got to start cutting dovetails again.
    I think I am a little odd in that regard. In some things I do, I perform really well cold, then get worse for a while before I can match my initial effort. Happens all the time when I golf, first swings are perfect and then things get a little shaky before I regroup. I blame my tendency to think about the process and then "tinker" (meaning: adjust) with it.

Early last summer, I decided at the last minute to build a traveling toolcase before a woodworking class. I quickly cut out the dovetails before I had time to think about the process and they were perfect. A little more time to think about it and I would have really screwed them up. I will commit to posting pictures before Don or one of deputies call me on it.

That could well be because when you are cold you are more relaxed and get anxious or nervous the more you work on them.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Well, the good news is that I did some more, and the knack is back. I'll post pictures later.

Here are some pictures of a smallish box I'm making for my friend. It's about 9 inches long. Cherry and birdseye maple. The bottom is bookmatched. The quarter is for scale of the dovetails. Few coats of shellac, more to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box 3-4b small.jpg   box close-up small.jpg   box bottom small.jpg  

nice job ken,, and the tails look fine to me
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!