I haven't been active on FWW in a while, mostly due to a lack of shop work while I've been recovering from heart surgery some months ago. Recovery has been much slower than I would have thought, but I'm slowly getting back on track. Among a few projects I've been working on is a deck for the back of our house. I'll show you a few photos of the progress.
Here's an overall shot of the back of the house prior to starting on the deck. I had not removed the old gazebo frame at this point.
Here's the target area for the deck adjacent to the existing concrete patio. I sprayed vegetation killer over the area a couple of weeks prior to starting the project.
I had a young friend help me by digging the 20 pier holes for the foundation. I built the beams using a pair of 2x8 PT attached to the 4x4 PT. We set the first beam by the house, poured concrete and let it set up a day before proceeding. I cut a pair of joists to set the spacing between beams as we continued the process.
I didn't get any shots of me laying the deck boards, but here's the view along with the first of the rail installation. To mount the deck boards, I used the Eb-Ty system which I purchased from McFeely's. I wanted the clean look of no screws/nails except at the outside of the end boards. The boards are Veranda composite. The width of the deck is 11.5 feet, so 12 foot boards were used, then cut off at the edge of the patio.
This shows the continuation of the rail system around the patio. I planned this for both appearance and privacy.
Here's a view from the inside corner of the deck showing the completed rail/baluster system.
This is a straight-on view of the area.
And here's an overall view of the completed rail system. In a few weeks, I'll be able to apply some stain to the PT lumber, then install some landscaping.
We're already enjoying having a much nicer back yard seating area. It's only a few steps to my grill and smoker that I keep under a carport just off the step of the deck. We like!