New Tool Lead Fizzles

Has anyone noticed how many people think they're going to sell their tools for an astronomical price?

I had a lead on some used stuff. An acquaintance of a friend. I had it on good authority that he was downsizing, and his stuff was in perfect condition. I was all excited. Then I talk to him and he has a 10 year old 12" delta lunchbox planer, a (10 year old) 16" Ryobi scroll saw, and a (10 year old) Dewalt biscuit joiner. And he wants $500 for all three. I think NOT. Is that ridiculous or what?

Heh, I felt lucky to be able to get ride of my old Delta Lunchbox Planer without paying someone to take it! :thumb:

A used power tool in good condition should sell for about 1/2 price. If you follow enough leads, you end up with some disappointments, and some good deals. Sometimes though, a really nice older tool in fine condition will sell for the same or more than what a new Taiwanese/Chinese tool goes for.

if its a 100 dollar item new, and the seller is offering to you for 85 dollars, well, you are saving on shipping and taxes. (this line always makes me laugh when the seller tells me this)

if its a 100 dollar item new, and the seller is offering to you for 85 dollars, well, you are saving on shipping and taxes. (this line always makes me laugh when the seller tells me this)

Your saving shipping, taxes and having one of those pesky warranty things.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Your going to find that around here Cynthia espesally with the retirment community that we have here on the island. Victoria is bad for that. You have to start looking at estate sales and garage sales to get the best deals. Craigs list is full of people trying to sell "great deals" You just have to keep an eye out at the tool places too and do your reserch.

I once replied to an ad for CMT router bits brand new in box with reciepts and the woman was looking to get 1/2 price what her late husband had paid for them which was fair but on line I could have gotten the entire lot brand new for that price from the main office in California. The store he was dealing with locally is reputed for charging way too much. I felt sorry for her as her husband had gotten taken to the cleaners for everything he bought.