Lee Valley Low Angle Spokeshave - Brief Review

glenn bradley

I ordered this at the WWing show a couple weeks ago. Showed up yesterday. Like most Veritas items it is well made with a good finish and no unrefined edges that might bother your hands. The aluminum body is generous in mass and has the feel of a quality aluminum tool familiar to those that have used them; no recycled beer cans here.

The instructions are very clear and due to the simplicity of the tool, very brief. The recommendations to clean the blade and the seating area were followed. I also roughed the surface area of the blade iron where is seats against the body although I used 220 grit as opposed to the 60-80 grit recommended. Dimensioned drawings for a blade holder to aid sharpening are also included.

Much like a contour plane (possibly due to the light weight as my skill level is limited), you can take very light strokes that yield paper thin shavings. A firmer grip or slight adjustment in angle will take thicker shavings. The grip is comfortable and controlled. The blade and toe are easy to adjust and stay put with minimal torque.

All in all the tool seems reasonably priced and very precise in execution.

Attachments

• LV LA Spokeshave 001.jpg
    LV LA Spokeshave 001.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 36
  • LV LA Spokeshave 002.jpg
    LV LA Spokeshave 002.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 37
  • LV LA Spokeshave 003.jpg
    LV LA Spokeshave 003.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 35