Gladys Ingles, tire repair 101 without a parachute!

Don Baer

Staff member
THIS IS A CLASSIC KEEPER! YOU WON'T BELEIVE YOUR EYES Subject: Gladys Ingles, tire repair 101
Holy Moley--take a look at this video. Fabulous footage although grainy as heck due to time and bad equipment in those days compared to today, but gheezch what nerve this gal had.

Gladys Ingles was a member of a barnstorming troupe called the 13 Black Cats in the 1920s. Ingles was a wing walker; in this film, she shows her fearlessness in a classic barnstorming fashion to save an airplane that has lost one of its main wheels. Ingles is shown with a replacement wheel being strapped to her back and then off she goes as "Up She Goes," a duet from the era, provides the soundtrack. In the video, Ingles transfers herself from the rescue plane to the one sans main gear tire. She then expertly works herself down to the undercarriage only a few feet from a spinning prop. It's certainly a feat many mechanics wouldn't even try on the ground with the engine running.

Oshkosh 365 - Discussion Boards - Video: Mid-Air Repair

That's amazing. Thanks for the link. I shared it on a travel forum I visit...those airplane junkies will get a big kick out of the video.

WOW!!!

I have been up in an airplane similar to the one in the video---An Eaglerock.
I was age 4. See my avitar. I still have my dad's goggles (the helment disintegrated over time) and the manual for the airplane.

Those airplanes are not quite as stable as a 747. In my most horrible dreams I could not envision doing what that lady did. She is one confident, tremendously coordinated, skilled lady.

Again WOW.

Enjoy,

Jim