Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoring veneered material for dado's

Scoring veneered material for dado's

I put this on SMC, but I thought I'd share it here as well.

Short video on how I score plywood to limit tear out when dado-ing across the grain.

Saw is a 3hp Delta with a Forrest dado head. Dado King I think

The audio sucks, and my head is missing most of the time, but I did it with my phone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0I2GoVWGwI
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

looks like you could be off on your scoring cut karl??? i know yu have done it a bunch so maybe i am over thinkun this .. basically its like doing a climb cut right then doing the final cut to the fence..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    looks like you could be off on your scoring cut karl??? i know yu have done it a bunch so maybe i am over thinkun this .. basically its like doing a climb cut right then doing the final cut to the fence..
    Thats the way I see it Larry, Might have to try it on some scrap. Not
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-16-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

There isn't to much that scares me on the tablesaw till I saw this video. All I thought was accident waiting to happen.

I use the freud dado stack and have yet to experience tearout on cross grain dados.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    There isn't to much that scares me on the tablesaw till I saw this video. All I thought was accident waiting to happen.
    Actually the scoring part of it is safer than the actual cutting of the dado. Look at where my body is. Look at where my hands are. There is literally nothing that can hit me, or hurt me. At least saw related....

I spent all day friday cutting up parts, and 4-5 hours yesterday, and about the same today machining. Total I burned up 22 sheets worth of material, and pretty much every single piece I cut the dado's in this fashion. I do it on every job I do.

I use the freud dado stack and have yet to experience tearout on cross grain dados.
    I don't get much either if I go straight into it. This does two things for me:
    1. it gets the piece to the front of the saw quickly and with no real effort. Sounds stupid but its true.
    2. It guarantee's that there is no tear out.

Try it first with a rabbet and a piece about the size of a base side. Position yourself off to the side of the saw, and give it a shot. The first few times are hairy. After you get a feel for it its second nature and really nothing special.

You guys would freak if you saw me banging through plunged dado's on the tablesaw for stretchers......
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 11-15-2010 at 03:09 AM.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

OMG please remove this quick

This is very dangerous, I dont care that you think your out of the way. If that peice binds up, its gonna get launched back and hopefully your out of the way. Also during the full depth cut you are leaning into the blades and if it binds up then your hand will go into the blade

You may know what your doing but someone is gonna mess this up and its gonna be bad....

I've been in hundreds of cabinet shops and on thousands of construction sites. I'm always amazed by the creative methods some pros use power tools. I would not have the nerve to try most of them but they seem to get the job done quickly and safely.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I don't care how many times you've done that, Karl. It's still an accident waiting to happen!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Roberts View Post
    OMG please remove this quick

This is very dangerous, I dont care that you think your out of the way. If that peice binds up, its gonna get launched back and hopefully your out of the way. Also during the full depth cut you are leaning into the blades and if it binds up then your hand will go into the blade

You may know what your doing but someone is gonna mess this up and its gonna be bad....
    Want a pic of my fingers again?

I would not do that on a bet......sorry

Holy smokes dude you are gonna get it with that method and definately take it down off of youtube before some newby sees it and thinks that's the way it's done. I have a freud dodo set and a forrest too, neither of them chips out anything on cross grain ply, so I don't see the point.

We go through about 100 sheets of ply in our shop a month and like yours most of it gets dadoed and I don't remember the last time we had to replace a piece because of tear out.

I've been knocked flat by a piece of plywood thrown out of my tablesaw caused by a slight lapse of attention and I'm not about to try that method.

Please reconsider your method.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.