Scoring veneered material for dado's

looks like you could be off on your scoring cut karl??? i know yu have done it a bunch so maybe i am over thinkun this .. basically its like doing a climb cut right then doing the final cut to the fence..

There isn't to much that scares me on the tablesaw till I saw this video.:eek: All I thought was accident waiting to happen.

I use the freud dado stack and have yet to experience tearout on cross grain dados.

There isn't to much that scares me on the tablesaw till I saw this video.:eek: All I thought was accident waiting to happen.

Actually the scoring part of it is safer than the actual cutting of the dado. Look at where my body is. Look at where my hands are. There is literally nothing that can hit me, or hurt me. At least saw related....

I spent all day friday cutting up parts, and 4-5 hours yesterday, and about the same today machining. Total I burned up 22 sheets worth of material, and pretty much every single piece I cut the dado's in this fashion. I do it on every job I do.

I use the freud dado stack and have yet to experience tearout on cross grain dados.

I don't get much either if I go straight into it. This does two things for me:
1. it gets the piece to the front of the saw quickly and with no real effort. Sounds stupid but its true.
2. It guarantee's that there is no tear out.

Try it first with a rabbet and a piece about the size of a base side. Position yourself off to the side of the saw, and give it a shot. The first few times are hairy. After you get a feel for it its second nature and really nothing special.

You guys would freak if you saw me banging through plunged dado's on the tablesaw for stretchers......

Last edited:
OMG :eek: please remove this quick

This is very dangerous, I dont care that you think your out of the way. If that peice binds up, its gonna get launched back and hopefully your out of the way. Also during the full depth cut you are leaning into the blades and if it binds up then your hand will go into the blade

You may know what your doing but someone is gonna mess this up and its gonna be bad....:doh:

I've been in hundreds of cabinet shops and on thousands of construction sites. I'm always amazed by the creative methods some pros use power tools. I would not have the nerve to try most of them but they seem to get the job done quickly and safely.

OMG :eek: please remove this quick

This is very dangerous, I dont care that you think your out of the way. If that peice binds up, its gonna get launched back and hopefully your out of the way. Also during the full depth cut you are leaning into the blades and if it binds up then your hand will go into the blade

You may know what your doing but someone is gonna mess this up and its gonna be bad....:doh:

Want a pic of my fingers again?

I would not do that on a bet......sorry:eek:

Holy smokes dude you are gonna get it with that method and definately take it down off of youtube before some newby sees it and thinks that's the way it's done. I have a freud dodo set and a forrest too, neither of them chips out anything on cross grain ply, so I don't see the point.

We go through about 100 sheets of ply in our shop a month and like yours most of it gets dadoed and I don't remember the last time we had to replace a piece because of tear out.

I've been knocked flat by a piece of plywood thrown out of my tablesaw caused by a slight lapse of attention and I'm not about to try that method.

Please reconsider your method.

Well Karl you can say what you want about doing it that way but until you've had the pleasure of picking up the pieces of someones hand thats been chewed up by a dado blade I think you would quickly change your mind.

And for the record it wasn't a pleasure and what was left to pick up looked like it went thru a cheese grater. The man lost the use of his hand trying to eliminate tearout just like your doing.

Just out of curiosity what comes across as dangerous? Like I said before the scoring part of it is probably "safer" than the actual dado.

I've probably done this ten thousand times in my career. Also common practice at multiple places I have worked at in the past.

I've picked up my own mangled hand out of a tablesaw? Does that count?:rofl:

A little gift from a tablesaw when I was being stupid:
16848_1242529594596_1570037517_30620117_3191996_n.jpg

I don't care how many times you've done that, Karl. It's still an accident waiting to happen!

Can only totally agree with you Jim. Karl i think you have done youself a disservice with that demonstration. You do fine work but if its achieved with those safety methods then i would not want to be learning from you sorry.:(

While I have never seen that before I do know theirs a few things I do that most hear would think the same about.:thumb::thumb:
Knowing your tools and how they do things goes a long ways in being safe.:thumb:

Just out of curiosity what comes across as dangerous? Like I said before the scoring part of it is probably "safer" than the actual dado.

I've probably done this ten thousand times in my career. Also common practice at multiple places I have worked at in the past.

I've picked up my own mangled hand out of a tablesaw? Does that count?:rofl:

A little gift from a tablesaw when I was being stupid:
16848_1242529594596_1570037517_30620117_3191996_n.jpg

You've obviously been more up close and comfortable with a table saw than I have. I've never been lucky enough to get that close to one in over 40 years of operation. Now that I see how you have accomplished that I totally refuse to get any closer.:rofl:

Wow! While it obviously works for you -- I won't be trying that technique any time soon.

That said, it is similar to a technique I do use when I need to avoid tear out on veneered stock: I raise the blade maybe 1/16th of an inch (just enough to get through the veneer layer) and run the stock through the "wrong way". I then power down, set the height I really want (for dados or through cuts), and run the stock through the "right way". It may take longer, but I feel far more comfortable with it.

When done this way, it functions much the same way as the scoring blades on high end table saws that spin in the opposite direction of the main blade.