Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior painting question

Interior painting question

A neighbor just called with a question I can't answer with certainty. He painted his living room over the existing tight wall paper, and left for the weekend. When he returned home this evening he found a space about the size of his hand that had heavy runs in it. He wanted to know how to handle the problem. My first thought was to try to scrape it smooth and repaint the area. He suggested sanding it and repainting. I'm not sure. Any ideas? He used Lowe's best latex.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    hang a picture over it ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

First off - the next guy who want to remove that wall paper will sure be cussing the one who painted it! What a mess that'll be!

As for the runs, I'd try slicing them off with a razor blade, then recoating.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    First off - the next guy who want to remove that wall paper will sure be cussing the one who painted it! What a mess that'll be!

As for the runs, I'd try slicing them off with a razor blade, then recoating.
    I couldn't agree more.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I go with hang a pic over it.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I would add one step. After scraping, apply a coat of shellac. That will seal it and keep you from getting "Flash".

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Proper Prep work is the key to a good job.

Painting over wall paper? Sounds like a shortcut to me.

I've removed wall paper before and it really wasn't that hard. Get some of the 'zif' wallpaper remover, get a little doohickey that pokes holes in the wall paper, spray it, wait, and it peels off.

What they said

Prep work (unfortunately for the actual amount of work it takes) is 90% of the work. Stinks big time, but worth it in the end.

Perhaps sand it down, putty over and start again...but a picture would be nice

I've had to remove wallpaper that someone has painted over more times than I care to think about. Not a fun job.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

When I had a company painting interiors we would prime the walls with oil primer and then paint with a premium acrylic.

Sand it and prime 1st, he is lucky the paper did not all bubble
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com